Chapter 27

Demi's POV

The next several days seemed to drag on. No one felt like going anywhere, and I understand that. However, it made for very boring times at the apartment. The girls watched a lot of TV. I didn't have any books for their age, I really had nothing for their age. I need to get back out to get them crafts, toys, etc, but I just haven't had time. I've had a lot of paperwork to fill out, and many changes I had to take care of.

All through the week, Carlie seemed to be getting more and more distant, while trying to keep Ella away, too. I didn't exactly know why she was pushing me away even more, and I wasn't sure how to ask her about it either.

I just wish Carlie would trust me more. They're living with me now, so I do t want her still acting like I'm a stranger. I know she's been through a lot recently, and it's hard on her, but it seems like she's not even trying to let me in. It hurts me a little. I try to be understanding, but I just want her to know that I'm only doing what's best for her and her sister.

Ella on the other hand has no issue around me at all. She loves to help with whatever she can. I think it's great she likes to stay busy. She helps me cook most of the time, she's helped with laundry, and everything else she can get herself involved in. Carlie doesn't like it, and I've even seen her try to convince her sister to quit, but Ella isn't letting anyone control her. She's happy, and I'm honestly a little upset that Carlie is trying to take that away from her. I know she's trying to look out after her sister, but she needs to accept that I'm here now, and it's my job to take care of them.

After nearly two weeks of staying in the house, I decided to take the girls to the park again. If take them to the store later because we are in serious need of groceries.

Once at the park, Ella ran straight towards the swings. I watched as Carlie pushed her sister, making sure the swing didn't go too high.

After a while, a couple of other kids starting playing catch. The ball was thrown too far and landed by Carlie. She took her attention off of Ella to get the ball and throw it back, but as Ella tried to stop her swings, she fell off. I couldn't see exactly how it happened, it was quick.

I heard to yell out and cry as I starting running over to them. Carlie quickly got down on the ground next to her sister to make sure everything was okay.

"Are y'all alright?" I asked.

"She's fine, just a little scratch," Carlie answered. "It's okay," she said, redirecting her attention to her sister. Carlie was doing her best to keep Ella calm. "Come on, I'll help you up," she said softly. She was so caring towards her sister.

Ella sniffled as she grabbed Carlie's hand.

"That was quite a landing you did there, Ella. I've never seen someone get off a swing like that. I thought it looked pretty cool," I said, trying to make her smile. I was successful. "Feel better?" I asked.

"She's fine," Carlie stated again, obviously not wanting me to get involved.

"I have the first aid kit back at the apartment.  I'll need to clean that to get all of the dirt off of it," I said, ignoring Carlie's attitude. "We need to go, anyways. We still have to go to the store." I reached out to grab Ella's hand, but Carlie quickly grabbed it instead.

I felt bad for Ella. She was caught in the middle of the obvious tension between Carlie and I.

Once we were back at the apartment, I got my first aid kit out, which I never really use.

"I can take care of it," Carlie said, bringing Ella into the bathroom where I was getting the disinfecting spray out.

"Have you ever done this before?" I asked.

"No, but it seems easy enough."

"You need to know what it should look like after its cleaned." Truthfully, I was just making stuff up. I needed Carlie to loosen up. I wasn't going to hurt Ella.

I picked Ella up and sat her on the bathroom counter. She held up her elbow to show me her cut.

"This might sting just a little bit, but it won't last long." I saw Ella's body tense as she braces herself for the sting. I carefully sprayed her elbow, and she winced.

"Stop!" Carlie said, taking the spray away from me.

"Carlie, what are you-"

"It hurts her," she argued.

"Carlie, it has to be cleaned. It'll be over soon."

"It doesn't hurt too much, just a little," Ella stated.

Silence took over for a short moment. "Can I please have the spray back?" I asked. Carlie slowly gave it to me before leaving the bathroom.

She's so different now than when I first met her. She was never very happy, but she wasn't so rude at first.

Slow updates, school is school. I hope everyone is doing well. Please don't judge my writing skills off of the latest chapters. They will be getting better.