Chapter 9

Carlie's POV

I don't know why I didn't eat breakfast or lunch. Of course I was hungry. I guess I didn't want to seem small. I'm independent. I have been for several years now. It started long before Mom actually left.

The more time that passed, the more I felt bad about earlier when we first got to Demi's apartment. I was quite hostile and rude. I know she only wants to help, but for some reason, I don't want her to. Ella is my responsibility, and I'm my own. How will I ever grow up if I always have someone taking care of me?

However, she made Ella happy, something I seem to have issues with sometimes. Demi makes sure Ella can eat. This is only the first day, and Ella is already so much happier.

I can't let Demi know how bad it is at our apartment, though. She can't know that it's hard to find food there. She can't know that Dad can't seem to stay sober. I have to convince her that everything is perfect, and we're as happy as we can be. If she knew we lived in filth and scarce resources, she could call CPS on us. Not because Dad hurts us, because he doesn't, but because he's not able to provide for us. If we go into the system, though, I could lose Ella and everything else I know in this world. It's not worth it.

Demi's POV

The girls spent several hours at the park. Ella was able to run around faster and longer than Carlie was. Probably because Carlie didn't eat lunch, so she didn't have as much energy. They spent the longest on the swings. Carlie pushed Ella for so long, the little one squealing whenever she got to the highest part in the air. They both had huge smiles on their faces, ones I hadn't seen all day.

After a while, both girls came to me, obviously warn out.

"Ready to head back?" I asked, gathering my things since I already knew the answer. Both girls nodded their heads. "Your dad should get back soon, huh?" I asked, directing my attention towards Carlie. She nodded slowly.

"Well maybe. Sometimes he-" Ella started.

"No, he'll be back soon," Carlie said, cutting her little sister off.

Once we got in the car, Ella almost immediately fell asleep. She was worn out! Carlie was staring outside the window. I wanted so badly to know what was going on in her mind. She's trying to hide something, I know it. I knew she probably wasn't the happiest ten year old in the world, due to her father leaving so much and having some financial issues. I know we just met, but I wish she'd let me in a little bit. Just enough so I knew everything was okay.

Hi! It seems like y'all like the book :)

I have two other books nominated in the 2016 Lovatic Fan Fiction Awards. I'M SO EXCITED AND THANKFUL. Thanks for everyone's nomination. The voting has begun. If you don't want to, that's cool, but I would definitely appreciate it if some went over there and voted for "He Told Me Not to Tell" or "She Told me Not to Worry" in the Lovatic Fan Fiction Awards' book. Again, I don't expect it and that's okay, but if you would that would be GREAT.
Thanks!

And thank you for reading and always being supportive 😘