Kabanata 2

It was a freaking awkward dinner. All you could ever hear was the clink and the clang of the silverware on our ceramic plates. The fact that Jasper was eating right across me was making me queasy. I mentally praised all the gods every time Kristoff holds my hand. It was a good thing Kristoff was beside me.

“So kailan mo sinagot itong si Kristoff, Cassandra?” tanong ni Mita. Minding my manners, I drank first before answering Mita.

“Yesterday, Mita. But, he was already courting me for five months,” I said, holding Kristoff’s hand tightly. Mita and Papi were nodding. I hope they approve of Kristoff! They’re a bit protective of us kasi kami lang ang anak nila kaya naman every time na magkaka-boyfriend kami ni Ros, e, kinikilala muna nila.

“I’m happy that you’re happy, dear,” Papi said. That was the go-signal. They like Kristoff already! Oh my gosh, this is amazing! I breathe deeply and exhaled loudly. Finally, I can breathe calmly. But that doesn’t mean that the awkwardness is already over.

Mita faced Jasper and asked, “Gaano ka katagal dito?” I continued eating, as if I care kung gaano siya katagal dito. Kahit magtagal pa siya, e, wala na talaga akong pakialam.

“I might be here for good, Tita. And, by the way, Jeneva wants to invite you to her wedding,” he said.

“Oh, she’s getting married already?” biglang tanong ni Ros. Way back. Jen was our best friend and our older sister, as well. They lived just beside our house. Ang kwarto ko ay katapat ng kwarto ni Jasper so that’s how we met. We exchanged notes, just like how Taylor Swift and Lucas Till did on that music video.

“Yes. In fact, she wants the both of you to be her bridesmaids…if it’s okay,” Jasper added. I heard Ros’s squeal. I can seriously hear Rosaline’s excitement from here. Ever since we were kids, we always played wedding games and Jasper would always be our groom. I once thought that our wedding would come true, but it didn’t and I have to stop thinking about Jasper right now because my boyfriend is just beside me and I feel like I’m cheating on him. God.

“Of course, papayag ako! It’s her wedding, for goodness’ sake! Never kong palalampasin ito!” Rosaline said. Then, Jasper faced me.

“How about you?” he asked me. That did it. He was talking to me. As in, really talking to me. Damn, answer, Cassandra! Don’t make yourself look dumber.

“Sure,” I told him.

And that became our first conversation after eight months. And, hell, I know I’m already screwed.

***

What a bummer. Kristoff had to go earlier than we intended because he was needed in his office. Iyan ang hirap kapag businessman ang boyfriend mo, laging nawawala. Not that I’m complaining, his business came first before I did so I understand that he needs to work especially na family business ‘yun.

Nasa lanai ako ngayon, naka-lean sa metal rails while looking at the stars. It is a starry night right now and the breeze was cool−not too hot, not too cold.

“It’s been a long time.” I suddenly froze when I heard his voice. What the hell was he doing here? Do not show off feelings to him, Cassandra. Keep your cool.

“Eight months, to be exact,” I said. Damn, that came out bitterly. He didn’t speak after that. He also leaned on the metal rails, just like my position. Great, another awkward place. I was about to get inside when he pulled me back in place.

“What’s your problem?” I asked him, without looking in his eyes.

“Look at me, Cassandra,” he said. Ano bang gusto niya?