Kabanata 1

KABANATA 1

"I know you're still scared of what may happen but, I assure you, I would do my damn best to make you happy. So, Cassandra Lim, will you be my girlfriend?" he asked me, kneeling on one of his knees and holding my hands.

Is he even sure of what he's asking me right now? I'm still scared because of what happened before but Kristoff's words were so reassuring that they made me feel at ease.

"Kristoff, stand up. Mangingitim niyan ang mga tuhod mo," I told him, urging him to stand up. Pero, umiling lang siya.

"I won't stand unless you answer my question," he even said.

What should I answer? Is it even the right time already? I want to say that I should think about it but there's something in Kristoff's eyes. I don't know what it is but it urges me to say yes.

And so I did.

Yes, I'm still traumatized by what happened in the past but, what the hell, Kristoff's doing his best to make me comfortable again. When it came to the point that I didn't believe in love anymore, Kristoff was there. Slowly, he was showing me how it felt like to be in love again. At sa tingin ko, I am beginning to feel it again.

***

"Positive naman ba ang sagot mo sa kanya?" tanong ni Rosaline, my confidante and my twin sister. She was the first person I told about last night's events and I was surprised how ecstatic she was upon hearing the story.

"Yes, I just couldn't say to Kristoff. He's done many good things to me and I think I should pay him back," sabi ko sa kanya. Nagulat naman ako nang magbago nang kaunti ang expression niya.

"Oh, dear, please don't say that you answered Kristoff's question for the sake of charity!"

My eyes widened. No... That was not it.

"No! I really like Kristoff. I really do. And, sa tingin ko, on the way na siya to a deeper feeling," I told her. I saw the twinkle in her eyes when she heard what I said. This is my twin's weakness. Her eyes are so expressive, you could always tell what she's feeling just by looking straight into them. Thank God, I am not like that.

"Finally, you've moved on already! I thought you're gonna be an old maid na, e. You should invite him to dinner tomorrow so that he could meet Mita and Papi!" she excitedly said to me. Mita is our mom, while Papi is our dad. I know, we call them weird names but who cares?

"Why are you so excited about this whole thing?"

"Because it's about you and love. I never thought you'd speak about it again eversince...," she trailed off and I looked away. That was a very sensitive topic for me to talk about and I don’t think I could handle it already.

“Cassie, you should adapt to the situation. May bago ka na, dapat mo na siyang kalimutan. You know? One way of returning Kristoff’s love would be forgetting about that d-bag. Kapag di ka na nag-react everytime sinasabi ang pangalan niya, doon pa lang ako maniniwala na si Kristoff na talaga,” she told me.