{13} All Is Fair In Love and War

Start from the beginning

"I'm not exactly good at talking to girls." he eventually muttered.

Maybe it was Damon's words, maybe it was the tension in the car, but I didn't believe a word that left his mouth.

"You seem okay to me." I said.

"You're different, McKenzie." he shrugged. "I can't explain how, you just are."

I forced a weak smile and turned my back to him, resting my head against the cold glass of the window. The warmth of my breath began to cast a small spot of fog as I let out a shaky breath.

"Alec, I think you should take me home." I struggled to get the words out, but it felt as if a ton of bricks had been lifted from my shoulders.

He rolled his eyes. "Come on, McKenzie. It'll be fun. Don't worry, I'm not going to try anything on you. I won't let any of the guys, either."

Nodding, I relaxed back against the seat and stared ahead blankly, terrified of what waited at the other end of the highway.

*

Alec must have had some idea of how disastrous Krypton Cove would be. Kids filed in from every corner, waiting to break through the barriers of trees and bushes and into the wide, open field.

What worried me was his eagerness to stay inside the car. "We can let everything die down before heading in."

"You said your friends were waiting." my voice was barely audible.

A look of irritation flashed in his green eyes before he turned the key in the ignition and climbed out of the car. The thought of him disappearing into the crowds of people and leaving me alone in the car crossed my mind, and if I were being honest with myself, I would have preferred it.

Instead, he opened the door and offered me a hand. I wiped my wet palm against my pants once before taking it, allowing him to help me out. I was well aware of his intentions the second his arm snaked around my waist and pulled me closer.

"How old is she?" a booming voice broke the silence. Alec checked his phone with a bored look.

"Old enough to get in, Brody. Let us through." I didn't have to turn around to know I was being eyed down by the guy. He was probably a college athlete. He was a good foot taller than Alec and had muscles the size of his head. His dark eyes, brimmed with red, followed me until I was out of his line of sight.

I gaped at the mass of people before us. So many people had been crowded into the field that it was nearly impossible to spot any green.

"I'm going to go find my friends. Stay right here and don't talk to anyone." Alec ducked away before I could have a say in the matter.

In was a bad idea on his part, considering he was aware of how bad at obeying orders I was.

I started off in the opposite direction, digging through my purse for my phone. I jolted to a stop when I came up empty handed. It wasn't like me to misplace my phone, it was always in the same spot in my purse or in my back pocket. Never anywhere else.

"You might as well stick a 'I'm underage' sign on your back."

I shook my head. "What the hell are you doing here, Damon?"

When he realized I was purposely avoiding the sight of him, he took my shoulders in his tight grip and spun me around so I was facing him.

"Better question." he poked my cheek, "What are you doing at a college hangout?"

I shook my head. "That really isn't any of your business. Go find someone else to mess with."

I started to back away, when I was sure he wasn't going to grab my arm and force me to listen to him, I turned around. I'd barely moved a foot when he called after me.

"Thomas, I followed you here."

I whirled around and glare. "You what?"

He mumbled something incoherent under his breath, then continued. "I was only going to follow until you guys were off school grounds. I recognized the route he was taking and realized where he was taking you. I don't care how much I dislike you or you hate me, I'm know very well why guys bring girls out here, McKenzie."

"Because you've done it." I snapped in disgust.

"Exactly. Because I've done it." he accepted the response without a look of remorse.

I stepped forward and glared up at him. "I don't need a stalker, Fox. I sure as hell don't need a Knight-In-Shining-Armor either, alright? I can handle myself."

"There are some things you can't handle on your own, McKenzie." Damon's voice was startlingly calm.

I swallowed an insult. "Why? Because I'm a girl?"

"There are just some things you can't do on your own." he echoed his last statement.

"You don't even know Alec, Damon. Jus-"

He pointed in the direction Alec had hurried off too. "You might think you can handle him, McKenzie. And maybe you can to a certain extant. But he is a man, he is stronger and taller than you."

"What are you trying to say Damon?" I questioned tiredly.

"McKenzie, you know as well as I do why he brought you here." he answered with a deadpan expression.

I laughed coldly. "You think Alec is going to rape me."

"I think he's going to try."

"Do you understand how horrible of an accusation that is, Damon? He's a good guy, he wouldn't ever-"

Damon threw his hands up in exasperation, then dug his phone from his pocket.

"You want to know the real reason he asked you out?" he shoved the phone into my hands. "Read it. Out loud."

I opened a text without a contact and frowned at the conversation that Ryder had taken a screenshot of.

"Read it, Micky." my lips parted in surprise at Damon's use of my nickname. Forcing my tears back, I read the last text aloud.

"'She's easy, man. I'll have her in two weeks tops. Watch me.'" a wave of nausea washed through me at the words. I tossed Damon's phone on the ground and shook my head.

"McKenzie, wa-" he outstretched his hand from where he'd crouched on the ground.

I turned my back and darted toward the other end of the field.

***AN***

*Unedited*

Hope you guys enjoyed! 

What do you think of Alec? Is he as bad as Damon says he is? Or is Micky letting Damon's word cloud her judgement? Do you think Damon's right about why Alec brought her there? And where are your thoughts on him following them there? Finally, what are your thoughts on the text? Do you think Alec asked her out on a bet or something or Damon and Ryder made it up? 

Let me know what you thought/think!

~ChasingMadness24