CHAPTER SEVENTEEN - HELLO?

Depuis le début

"Oh, so you're the one who called and hung up on me, huh?"

"I'm so sorry. I don't know why I did that, really," I laughed at myself, as I rubbed my forehead with my free hand.

"It's alright," he giggled, and I felt more at ease as time was flying by. "I gave you the direct number to my office. You're lucky I'm working late," he explained, and I was relieved he didn't find this weird to call this late. "How is Charlie doing? Was he happy with my visit?"

"Oh uh, yes! He truly was. He was so down when he got here, but today it's like you brought his light back. His mother never saw him this happy," I told him, and he just listened to me. I could hear his breathing on the other end of the phone, and this alone made me feel at ease. "When I gave his mother the check, she was shaking with happiness. Literally. You saved their lives. Without your donation, they would have crawled under medical bills for years," I said with honesty and admiration. "They told me to thank you if I had the chance to, so thank you, Michael."

"I did what I had to do. I can't pretend not to see their need—oh," he stopped, and started laughing. "I'm sorry, I didn't intend to use one of my songs' lyrics. I just—oh God, now you probably think I'm self-centered," he declared, as I could hear by the sound of his voice that he was embarrassed.

"A self-centered person wouldn't donate such a big ass check l—I mean, a b—big check," I slapped my forehead with my hand, "—to a family in need."

"Right," he laughed, and the sound of his laughter calmed my nerves once again.

As Michael kept talking, I focused on his voice but I had no idea what he was saying, for the sound of his laughter triggered another vision to occur in my mind. His voice seemed to be an echo I could barely hear, like he was talking under water. But the images going on in my mind were accompanied with voices. Those I heard loud and clear.

"You are so silly," Michael laughed through the receiver I was holding. I was on my bed, sitting cross-legged, and a delightful smile decorated my face.

"This is really how I got my driving license though, so I'm not sure I'm a good driver as well," I giggled as well. "So you can tell me you're a bad driver, but I'll confirm that when you'll take me somewhere by yourself. I mean, without the help of your chauffeur."

"Do you want me to take you on a date, Hayley Thames?" he innocently asked.

The look on my face showed obvious shock as I was visibly taken aback by his question, but soon enough, I could feel what I would feel at that moment: that feeling of my heart beating so fast that it would probably jump out of my chest, that knot which formed in my stomach at the simple idea that Michael wanted to take me on a date... I was feeling everything like I was already living it.

"Hayley?" someone called, but it was definitely not Michael's voice calling. The sound of this voice in the distance brought me back to reality in the blink of an eye.

"For fuck's sake, Carl!" I jumped in fear, and hung up the phone without even thinking. "You scared the crap out of me!"

"I—I'm sorry," he apologized, as he approached me.

"You m--"

I was about to curse him out for making me hang up the phone, but when I saw his eyes full of tears and the luggage by his side, I understood that he was here to stay.