Chapter 20// A stranger in the night

Start from the beginning

Nevertheless, I immediately raise myself to my feet, stomping to my window with balled fists. Swiftly yanking the window closed I watch in silent agony as his gorgeous eyes are suddenly cloaked in the transparent sheen of glass separating us.

I've gotta get out of here.

He seems to notice my suddenly defeated expression as I make my way back into the hallway, slamming my door behind me.

I've gotta get out of here... now

Ignoring my parents questioning shouts, I sprint down the stairs and straight out the front door. If I'm ever going to be able to get on with my life it'll be on my terms. I can't spend hours sitting alone in my bedroom with my parents knocking and Hunter's lingering gaze through the window. I have to get out. I have to escape.

I can't drive but that doesn't mean I can't run. If I can make it to the shops in this darkness then I can catch a bus to somewhere more secluded. Hopefully I won't catch too many muggers on the way there.

Tucking my hands into my pockets I begin to make my way down the street. Even at night everything seems so foreign to me. For a while I had gotten used to the weird feelings of driving down populated streets. Now all I see are the menacing shadows and my lingering nightmares.

"What are you doing, Vee?" Hunter asks from behind me.

Though I'm well past his house, he stands behind me in his grey tee and sweatpants like he barely walked a block. I'm honestly not surprised to see him. He was always the one following me when he was least wanted.

"I need to get out of here."

He doesn't have to ask why. He knows me well enough to understand.

"Can I tag along?" He asks hopefully, already knowing what I'll say.

"You sure your dad would approve? I mean aren't we supposed to hate each other? That's what my dad said at least" I spit back aggressively.

"I didn't let that stop me when I first met you, why should I let it now?" He responds calmly, as though he already knew what my dad had told me.

"Just leave me alone this once Hunter."

He observes me silently, his eyes an intricate maze of mystery and allure. On any other day I would have been weak at the knees. I mean, who wouldn't be? Even in this shadowed light, his slightly tousled hair and revealed biceps  look like something from a magazine. Of course this annoyingly hot guy had to be the one I'm holding a grudge against.

"You might want to close that pretty mouth of yours before you catch flies" he taunts with a smirk.

Immediately realising my mistake, I close my mouth and fold my arms. Despite my deadly glare his cocky expression remains perfectly intact.

"Do you ever quit?"

"Depends whether you're going to come back with me or not?"

I'm honestly too overwhelmed to answer him, so I just turn away.

"I-I'm just so confused."

"I get it" he says deeply.

Damn it, even when he is comforting me I find it hard to breath. This is exactly the reason why I can't have him around when I'm trying to think.