Chapter 20// A stranger in the night

Chapter 20: A stranger in the night

"We meant to tell you! We really did" my mother pleads, reaching for my hands.

"Come on Sandra! Let's be honest here, we weren't going to tell her until she turned 18, which I think is reasonable considering" my dad mutters whilst rubbing his forehead.

"Reasonable?!" I shriek dramatically, "how is any of this reasonable?! You've been lying to me my entire life and I just find out now that your work has been putting my life in danger since I got here!"

"Oh Violet" my mother sighs.

"No! Don't 'Oh Violet' me. Because of you guys I have to find a 'partner' before graduation or  I'll be a disgrace to everyone in the town!"

The anger inside me is so overwhelming that my insides are jumbled up beyond belief, with my heart taking full control of my mind.

"So you found out about that part as well..." my mother asks, though it is clearly a conclusion.

"If I hadn't would you have kept that a secret too?!"

"Violet-" my dad starts pleadingly.

"Stop! Just stop! I'm done with all of this bull shit-"

"Language" my mother mumbles.

"You're in no position to tell me what to do! Because of you, my friends were forced to constantly lie to me!"

"That was Heather's duty as a member of our gang" my father defends.

"I'm not just talking about Heather!" I yell back, "I'm talking about Logan, Brendan, Ethan and Hunter as well!"

"HUNTER?!"

My father voice booms against the walls making my ear drums vibrate.

"You're friends with the son of my enemy?!?!" He asks angrily.

"Yeah. What about it?" I question, becoming a smidge quieter.

"Our families have been at war for generations!"

"What?"

Now everything seems even more confusing. Is that the reason why his family always used to have some sort of prior commitment whenever I came over?

"The fact that he didn't tell you is proof that he is just using you!" My father growls territorially.

"For what?" I question, my voice a hushed whisper.

"To get at me! His father was probably planning to have you fall for him and then be humiliated in front of the whole town. Then you would always be looked down on in the eyes of the gang!" My father explains.

"Richard, isn't that going a step too far?" My mother asks.

"Not for Dominic."

Shaking my head in confusion and a bit of frustration, I begin to back away from the conversation attempting to make it to my room unnoticed. My parents are still yelling at each other by the time I've made it to my door.

Sighing so deeply I can feel my heart banging against my rib cage, I slowly slide down the door. Then bringing my knees to my forehead I let out the barrage of tears that had been threatening to spill all day.

In just one day I have had my entire life twisted upside down, inside out and back to front! Everyone that I thought I knew has turned out to be backstabbing liar and tomorrow I have to go back to school and face all of them.

"Violet?"

My head shoots up from my knees. My eyes immediately lock with Hunter's through the window. However, this time his eyes aren't pleading or even empathetic. If anything, he looks regretful, as though his sadness is no longer directed at me and rather himself.