Chapter 2

Rule Number 2: Emotions are weakness

1 Dr Peppers, 2 toilet breaks and 3 hours later, I finally arrived at the house. No, it couldn't be considered as a house, this was a mansion! It was three stories high, and with vast forest surrounding it, it was grand. A woman in mid forties who introduced herself as Carol led me into the mansion.

She gave me a small tour, to the right of the entrance, there was a long hallway that led to the dining hall. On the left side, the hallway led to the entertainment room and swimming pool. On the second and third story were rooms for some pack members, guests, and the Alpha's family. My room was on the third floor, opposite the Alpha son's room.

Finally she led me to the first room on the second story. "The alpha will be over in a few minutes" Carol smiled, her eyes crinkling at the side. Something about her made me feel all warm and fuzzy but an assassin is not supposed to feel that. So once again, instead of smiling at her, I nodded in response which seems rather rude. 

I was lost in my thoughts as I looked around the room, assessing it. Why does the future Alpha (my mate) need a body guard? They are the largest pack in the state, which means the alpha will be really strong. An Alpha should also know how to protect himself right? So why was I needed? 

"You must be the new body guard Lisa" a voice said behind me. I mentally cursed myself for not paying attention to the environment as I did not notice the man walking in. He was in his early forties, with dark brown hair and hazel eyes, the aura of power gave out his position.

"I am Alpha Taylor, Alpha of the Shadowlight pack" he introduced, extending his arm and I shook it. I already knew his position; this was a detail that was given to me. He took a seat and gestured for me to do the same before saying, "There was an attempted assassination on my son, Adam and I needed someone who could protect him. You'll have to follow him wherever he goes, even in college. This will be the arrangement until the assassin is caught." He said.

I smiled and answered, "I will do my best to protect him." I'm the assassin, right in front of you.

There was a knock on the door and he appeared, looking as hot as ever. A look of surprise appeared on his face for a split second and I thought he recognised me. "Are you serious Dad? A girl? I can protect myself!" he said. He is so rude.

"Excuse me?" I said, "Don't look down on females, for all you know, they can take you down in one shot" I can kill you with one shot, I thought.

"I apologise, ......" Adam asked.

"Lisa" I answered, wondering why the sudden change in attitude.

"Lisa," he repeated. My wolf shivered at him saying my name and clenched my fists to control her. His fresh dew and sea scent was so intoxicating and it sent my wolf into a frenzy.

"Perhaps you could show your moves to me one day?" he smirked. He knew he had a mate yet he was flirting with me.

"In your dreams" I said, getting annoyed.

I turned my attention back to Alpha Taylor who was watching the entire conversation in amusement. "You are dismissed now" he said, concluding the end of our introduction. I walked out of the room, past Adam, making sure I didn't have any skin contact with him. I walked towards the dining hall, hoping to get something to eat and Adam followed me.

Every second that he stayed with me, made my wolf feel even more excited and I was surprised that he doesn't realise that I was his mate. Just as I wanted to ask him what he wanted, I recognised the spicy scent and a familiar brunette came bounding up to Adam.

"Addy!" she yelled, leaping onto him. What type of nickname is that? Her mouth immediately kissed his and I looked away. I felt a surge of anger and ... jealousy? The image of him and her banging each other suddenly appeared in my mind and a pang of betrayal went through my heart. Mates are nothing but distractions, I repeated that mantra and made sure I felt nothing.