20. Decisions

"Let's deal with this back at Skyber," said Marius, keeping a firm grip on Aled's shoulder.

"Not so fast," said Lupei, grabbing hold of Aled with one hand and Dax with the other. "I want to find out what the hell is going on."

"We have to get out of here!" hissed Marius, trying to push his way through to the door.

"You're not going anywhere!" insisted Pars, Lady Liviana's chief guard, taking Dax's other arm in a firm grip. "It's down to the dungeons for you, my boy. Try and take advantage of our Lady, would you?"

Marius took one look at the three castle guards now angrily surrounding Dax and changed his tune.

"You're right!" he told Pars. "We'll help you take him downstairs. Lord Dale has questions of his own to ask him!"

In the end, all four of them accompanied Pars and his men down to the castle dungeons; Dax being hustled along in the middle, in part to protect him from enraged wedding guests. Dax was thrust into a cell and the door slammed shut behind him. Two castle guards took up position outside the door.

"We'll let him stew for a bit," said Pars. "I'm going back upstairs to consult with Lady Liviana."

"We'll stay here," said Marius.

"You're welcome to stay here if you want to, but no one goes into that cell without my permission," said Pars, frowning at everyone, guards included.

"Of course," agreed Lupei.

As soon as Pars was out of sight, Aled turned to Marius. "I think it's time for me to go back and find the portal." He spoke quietly.

No! Marius bit back an unspoken protest. Then he looked at Lupei and the guards. Expressions growing more suspicious by the minute, none of them were going to be satisfied with his hastily concocted explanation for much longer. Aled was right.

Lupei glared at Marius, obviously having second thoughts about her spur-of-the moment decision. "You're not going anywhere without all of us. You can't leave him here, alone," she insisted.

The guards stiffened. "No-one goes into that cell until Captain Pars returns," stated one, moving slightly so that he blocked the door.

Marius and Aled exchanged glances. Then they moved as one. A sudden flurry of blows and the two guards were stretched out on the floor, unconscious.

"Frack!" said Lupei, crossing her arms over her chest. "Now we're done for."

Marius was searching the guard's trousers for the keys and didn't answer.

"We're going out through the tunnels," announced Aled. "You and Dax will have to come with us."

"What?"

"We'll explain later. We have to go now," said Marius, hurrying Dax out of the cell. One of the guards was already starting to stir.

"Quickly. This way," said Aled, disappearing down a dark passage. The others followed, Marius keeping a tight grip on Dax, although at the moment he seemed as happy to escape from the castle guards as the rest of them. A few twists and turns later and they were out of the castle proper and climbing down into the limestone caves. Aled stopped briefly to pick up the bundle containing his clothes and equipment and they hurried on, ears pricked for sounds of pursuit.

Several days later, a weary, hungry group of travellers emerged from a hole in the ground, close to a large granite outcrop.

"Ah. That feels good," exclaimed Lupei, turning her face up to the sun. "I was beginning to wonder if we'd ever see proper daylight again. That torch of yours is useful, Aled, but it's just not the same."