Chapter ~Fourteen~

Börja om från början

-
-
"Would you like anything else?" I asked while tipping my head that contained the usual smile.
            The girls in front of me smiled shyly and one giggled. "No, but it would be nicer if you would stay." A brunette said.
            I laughed like Kristy taught me to do when I didn't understand something they said, and didn't know what to say in return. "I'd love to, but my shift is ending, and I have something to do. Enjoy your meal, ladies. Good afternoon." I smiled and nodded my head as I walked backward before retreating to the back room.
            This was an extremely awkward shift. I swear, Marcus and Ryder were staring at me the entire time. Creepers. Once I saw Marcus laughing and Ryder crossing his arms, refusing to look anywhere but the table. I wonder what happened.
            I changed out of uniform and grabbed my bag. Kristy will still be working, and she said she will take our booth. I don't know why, and I desperately hoped she wasn't planning anything.
            I approached the table. Even if Ryder’s smile seemed a little forced, it almost made me stop walking and made my throat feel dry. Why? I shook my head clear of the delusions and slid in next to Marcus, feeling that if I got close to him, I'd have a problem speaking.
            "Enjoy watching me work?" I asked casually, expecting a sarcastic remark or something.
            Ryder shrugged and looked away to the side with his arms crossed over his chest. Why was he grumpy?
            "What's wrong?" I asked and looked up at him worriedly. Maybe he wasn't feeling well.
            His eyes flickered to me and his mouth parted a bit. He faced me a little more and continued to open and close his mouth, with nothing coming out. I frowned and looked up at him closely. No, nothing seemed wrong.
            "Erm, should we order?" Marcus suggested. I nodded slowly and looked at him to see if he noticed Ryder's behavior. Wait, why was he laughing? He hid it quickly with a cough.
            Ryder seemingly snapped out of his reverie and shook his head fiercely. Okay...
            "Hey guys, Nate, what do you guys want?" Wow, she wasn't even bothering with the usual introductions a host would usually start with.
            "Water." I told her awkwardly. Of course it would be awkward, to have your friend serving you.
            She frowned a little and poked my stomach. "Please don't tell me you eat water for breakfast, lunch, and dinner."
            "I'm pretty sure you drink water, not eat it. And yes I only drink water for every meal because it's just so delicious." I responded sarcastically.
            "Sarcasm is not appreciated, mister. What about you two?" Ryder ordered something and when Marcus didn't respond she looked at him over her notepad. I looked at him as well. Why wasn't he looking at the menu, but at Kristy? I looked back up at the said girl to find her cheeks a tipsy red as she stared back.
            "You two okay?" I asked. Ryder coughed in his hand and I found him hiding a smile.
            "Uh, sorry. I'll have a coke and surprised me with an appetizer." She nodded, writing it in her notes and rushed back through the kitchen. Hm, usually she would talk more. Oh well.
            "So about the project-"
            "Is Kristy your girlfriend?" Marcus asked.
            I spluttered, "W-what? No!"
            "Really?" I looked at Ryder who had spoken. What was that look he was giving me?
            "No. We're close friends." He looked down at the saltshaker he played with.
           Marcus nodded and looked back at his hands. I shook my head at their weird behavior and pulled the papers for the project from my bag. We began discussing what we needed and what could be done for it. I have no idea why the two kept getting distracted by the cakes on the menu’s.
            Minutes later Kristy came back with our meals. I just remembered I skipped lunch and I was hungry, but ignored it and sipped from my water. The two began digging in.
            "Ryder, I swear, you never grew out of eating sweets." Marcus laughed. Ryder stuffed more of the desert in his mouth. It was the cake I made, I realized.
            "Is it good?" I asked. I've always wondered if people actually think it's good.
            "Delicious."
            I smiled a little. "Thanks."
            He cleared his throat and we got back to looked at the project details. We were interrupted when two girls, the last customers I had served, got up from their table and stopped at our booth on the way out. "Bye Nathan." They said together with grins.
            "Uh, bye." I said a little awkwardly. Weird. "So about this equation-"
            "Do you know them?" Why was I being interrupted so much today?
            "No." I said with a straight face, a little annoyed at Ryder for asking something so ridiculously obvious.
            "Could've fooled me, you know you're awfully friendly with your customers."
            "That's what I've been taught." I said slowly, not really sure what he was getting at.
            He looked thoroughly irritated.
            "Hey there's this thing in the back I need help lifting, can one of you help me?" Kristy appeared out of nowhere, making me jump. I was about to get up but Marcus beat me to it.
            "I'll help you, two stay here." The two disappeared behind the kitchen.