Chapter ~Fourteen~

CH-AP-TER FOR TEEN!!!!! grr, now i have to upload this one cuz rockturtle uploaded hers *grumble grumble, spits at hobo* oh well, HERE YA'LL GO!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.:~* NATHAN *~:.

“So…where are we going to work?” I asked as we left the school. I was heading to work, but staying later when I would normally be tutoring Ryder. I pretty much demanded that we get started on the math project right away. Of course, they protested, but Ryder was the first to give in.
            “Not my house.” Marcus said. “My parents are working, and they don’t trust me home alone, especially with Ryder.”
            “Hey, it was a minor accident involving the blender and an unmentionable substance.”
            I resisted asking what the unmentionable substance was. “Oh…okay then. What about your house?” I asked Ryder.
            He shook his head. “I have a feeling we’d be interrupted by someone.”
            “Who?” I asked.
            “My slave.”
            “You mean Mattson?”
            “Yeah.”
            “Ah.”
            “What about your house?” Marcus asked me. I smiled and scratched the back of my head uneasily. “My parents are on a trip and I’m not allowed to have friends over.” I lied easily.
            I felt Ryder’s eyes on me but ignored it. Marcus nodded and spoke thoughtfully out loud, “The libraries closed, and teachers are gone…hey what about that café place?”
            … “You mean the Red Rose?” He nodded. “There’s no problem with it. But that was…random.”
            He shrugged. “I like it there. It’s quiet. Plus, then you wouldn’t have to meet up with us after your shift right?”
            “I guess.”
            “Okay, then let’s go.” He began pushing Ryder who yawned sleepily from his previous nap in math.
            I felt a little nervous. Were they going to stay while I worked? They’d probably get bored. I had to talk to Kristy before work, I wonder if I’ll still be able to.
            “I’m going in through the back.” I old them as they entered. I ran to the back entrance and through to the back rooms. Kristy was there tying her apron around her neck.
            “Hey Kris.”
            “Hi Nate.” She pulled finished the knot with a tug and turned to me. “So, about this morning. What were you going to say, before we were rudely interrupted?”
            “What?” I asked.
            “About Ryder. Did he do anything? Of course he did. What did he do?” She asked excitedly.
            “Jeez, nothing! I don’t know why you think anything happened. I was sick, he gave me medicine. Ooh, that’s definitely worth headline news.” I finished sarcastically.
            She rolled her eyes and dropped her joking manner. Wait, was it possible for her to act serious? I felt uncomfortable under her stare and squirmed knowing my lie was useless. I bit my lip and looked away. I was giving in. Should I just tell her about what happened? She wouldn’t think of me any differently, right?
            “Hah! So something did happen! Did he hurt you?”
            “No! Why would you think something happened?”
            She pouted. “I’m your best friend. You bite your lip when you’re thinking about something.”
            Wow. I should probably stop doing that then.
            She sat on a stool, crossed her arms, and began staring me down. Gosh! Why do I feel so squeamish under her knowing gaze?
            Don’t give in Nathan!
            Yeah right
, this is Kristy I’m talking about. I whispered in her ear the one thing that blew my mind above all else that he did. I stepped away a little fearful. He jaw dropped and her eyes widened to the size of cake dishes. Then she sighed in relief.
            “Oh, thank god.”
            “What?” I asked. I just told her...that...and she's acting completely normal?
            “I thought he hurt you. Okay, now that I’m assured he did nothing of the sort,” She got up, dusted off her apron, looked me in the eye, and started screaming.
            I clamped a hand over her mouth but her eyes continued to sing with joy. Why was she so happy?! Weirdo…
            I finally let go of her mouth and she started squealing. “Oh my gosh! That’s so cute! He likes you! He likes you! Wait, did you let him? Did you like it?
            I bit my lip, wondering if he liked it as much as I did. It sounded really weird to even think kissing a guy would feel right. Even worse, this guy was Ryder.
            “Ah! You’re biting your lip! My Nathan is growing up!” She started jumping up and down and I realized, I lost. I shouldn’t have told her. She’ll act weird now.
            "Look, Kristy, I have honestly no idea why you're acting like-"
            "He kissed you!" She whisper-shouted. My face felt oddly heated as I looked at my feet. "Nathan, have I ever told you how cute you are when you blushed? Oh my God! I just can't believe it! I thought he, I don't know, told you his mother prefers you over him or something simple like that, not...Oh my god! You two are going to make the perfect couple-"
            "Kris, I don't like him!" She shut up immediately and stared at me with such intensity as before I regretted interrupting her. "What do you mean?" She asked.
            "I mean," I felt really bad for some odd reason for saying I didn't like him. Huh. I sat down in one of the chairs, and she did the same. As quickly, and quietly as I could, I told her everything. From feinting, to leaving this morning. I finished with, "I-I l...like...him, but I've never liked someone before and I don't know if this is right! I mean, isn't...or... I don't know! He's confusing me! I don't like being confused." I rushed out while shutting my eyes. I would have never told anyone that, or even thought it, hadn't Kristy been the one forcing it out of me.
            There was silence and I peeked open. Kristy was biting her lip and smiling at me like the older sister she is. She lost her initial excitement and merely looked happy and giddy."Nate..."
            "What?"
            She hugged me. My body didn't tense up, surprisingly. I guess I was getting used to her hugging me. She whispered fondly, "Listen, Nathan, you may not realize it just yet, but when you like someone," I hugged her back. Kristy's touch was reassuring. I was completely used to it. It really was like hugging a sister. "You feel like that. So in other words,"
            She held me out in front of her and her excitement returned. "I'm getting you two together!"
            Oh.
            My.
            Gosh.
            What have I done?