Chapter ~Thirty-Two~ FINAL

:)   Almost there. To everyone who read this story, thank you for coming this far. I really do love you all. Almost there.

Recap

            My grip loosened and I just lay on top of him. There was literally one second of silence before a whole commotion started that I didn’t open my eyes to watch.

            “Nathan.” I heard Ryder’s voice say, “Nate! This isn’t– this can’t happen. Stay awake, please. I love you. I love you so much. Stay with me.” Gosh, stop shaking me Ryder…. “Nate, I’m so, so sorry. I love you. Na– SOMEONE HELP HIM! HE’S–”

            “I love you too.” I whispered. Or at least I think I did. I might’ve been dreaming already.

            And I welcomed the sleep.

I welcomed the dream that reunited me with the only thing that mattered, even if that one thing was screaming his head off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            Damn it. Damn everything.

The doctors said “if” he woke up. If.

            Why did it come to this? Why did his life suck so much? Why only now was Mr. Steven being sent to prison, and being forced to stay there for the rest of his life?

            What did Nathan do to deserve this?

            I wiped a tear that fell from face as he slept and held his hand, leaning down till my head touched the bed.

            “I’m sorry.” I whispered. I felt the tears fall. One by one. “I’m sorry.”

            I hadn’t left his side for the two days since he got out of the ER. Suddenly his head rolled to the side and I glanced up. His face was twisted in pain and his eyes squeezed shut even though he was sleeping. It looked like he was having a nightmare. My heart shuttered and I closed my eyes, making more tears of mine fall onto his palm where I kissed. “It’s okay.” I whispered. “You’re safe. It’s okay, everything is okay.”

            I felt another sob bubble in my throat. It hurt.

            His finger twitched and I shot up. All I saw were half opened blue eyes. And I went absolutely still. His eyes were so clear. So vibrant compared to his skin.

            He woke up. He woke up! My heart beat wildly as we stared at each other for a full minute. The beating of the monitor increased ever so slightly.

            He parted his dry lips. I prepared to hear him tell me to go away, or…or something about the last week. I was ready to answer any questions, reassure him I would never leave him. But in a small, tired whisper, all he said was, “I don’t like hospitals.”