Epilogue

.:~* NATHAN *~:.

"What do you mean you did it on your own?!" I gasped as Marcus handed a thumb drive with out Math project on it. "You can't do that! I– um. Good job, but you shouldn't have done all the work!"

            "Well I used your notes. And I didn't want to bother you and Ryder while you were in the hospital, and Kristy grounded me I figured I might as well work on it. Who knew if you sit and focus on something, you actually get work done."

            "I don't see a problem with it." Ryder smirked as he threw an arm around my shoulders as we walked out of the classroom. I glanced down

            There was a slight hush when we walked down the halls. So much so, that when we stopped at Ryder's locker, Marcus was meeting the eyes of some onlookers.

            "Ryder, I think everyone's curious." He muttered.

            "Curious of what?"

            "Hm, I don't know. It's not like you always hang out with Nathan now, as if you like him, or something."

            "But I do like hi– oooh." He glanced around the hall and people pretended not to look. I felt my face warm but kept myself in check. His expression didn't change whatsoever. "How could I even pretend at this point? I'm hopelessly in love and finally don't care what they think." He glanced down at me and looked away, his face seeming to turn red. "It's up to you, of course. What to do about it I mean. If you don't mind coming out."

Honestly, I wasn't sure how to feel about it. To be...completely honest...my time in the hospital with him by my side was great. And I just wanted to stay by his side everywhere, including school. But no one knew he was bisexual, and I didn't want there to be stupid trouble. For him and for me. I should just...give him space at school. Right? No one will be bothered. 

            "Um...I'm gonna go. I have to turn in all my late work. I'll see you guys later."

            "Hey wait, I'll come with yo–"

            "It's okay, I have to talk to my teachers too." He looked at me doubtfully but nodded.

            "Are you gonna watch my soccer practice today?"

            I smiled slightly but scolded myself. It's just his practice. No reason to be so happy. "Yeah."

~~

"COME OOOON NATHAN."

            "Go away! I said no!"

            "BUT I NEED YOU!"

            "NO YOU DON'T!"

            "WE ALL NEED YOU!"

            "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! YOU SAID I WAS ONLY GOING TO BE WATCHING!!!"

            Ryder wrapped his arms around my waist and dragged me to the soccer field where they were having warm ups.

            He wanted me to join the soccer team. And I swear to god, this was frightening.

            "Strauss, about time you tried out for my team."  Coach nodded in approval.

            "Ryder, I can't play soccer. All I know how to do is run." I whispered frantically.

He gave me a small sweet smile and said, "And I'm not as fast as you. We'd make a good pair."

I tugged at the end of my long sleeve. Ryder glanced down at my hands and I stopped immediately. "Fine, but–"