Chapter 42: No Physical Contact

Start from the beginning

When Archer's voice fades out, I look over my shoulder. Archer's biting his bottom lip, a sign that he's fighting the urge to smile. 

"What?" I snap. "It was a good idea. It had scientific basis to it. " 

"I didn't say it wasn't," Archer says, but the edges of his lips twitch. "How many of these plans did you have?" 

"...six." 

There's a full-on smirk on his face now.

"Shut up," I say.

"I didn't say anything." 

"You're secretly making fun of me." 

"What, so you have the power to read my mind now that we're in a relationship?"

"I told you to shut up." 

He laughs.

- () -

Archer greets me at my locker during lunchtime. Sebastian isn't with him, so that must mean he's here for me. My theory is proven when he corners me with his arms, keeping me from moving to my usual space in the parking lot. 

"I missed you, Peyton." 

"It's been four hours since we last saw each other," I point out. When he doesn't move, I roll my eyes. "I missed you too, Archer." 

 Archer grins and leans closer. "How's life dating me?" 

"Same as usual," I flick his nose. He blinks. "Except I'm dating you." 

"Well, it's about to get even better." 

"And why is that?" 

"You said if I came up with some rules that I could add them to yours, right?"

I hesitate. There's a gleam to Archer's eyes that makes me suspicious. "I guess. Why? Did you come up with one?" 

"Three, actually."

"Oh." 

"The first one is that you have to sit with me during lunch."

So that's why he cornered me today. My first instinct is to protest or argue, since having lunch with other people is low on my list. Right above wearing actual gym clothes during gym. Then, I take another second to think about it. 

Archer agreed to all sixteen of my rules, so the least I could do is follow some of his, right? It's just lunch with his friends. No big deal.  

"Fine," I exhale shakily. "Let's go." 

Before I change my mind, I duck under Archer's arms and head in the direction that I think is the cafeteria. Archer stands still for a couple of seconds, shocked, then catches up with me. 

"Wait, really?" He says. 

"Yeah." 

"Wow," Archer tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. His touch, even though I should get used to it by now, continues to send fireworks through my body. "I thought we'd argue for at least five minutes before I'd be able to convince you." 

"Dr. Robinson said that the foundation to every relationship is compromise." 

"You've been talking to Dr. Robinson about our relationship?" 

Why do I let these things slip? I glare at Archer and he laughs. 

"I'm sorry," He says. "That's just so cute to think about. You, sitting in the a therapist's office, listening attentively to Dr. Robinson's as she gives you relationship advice."