The Sola Tree

The Sola Tree

This fanfiction is purely fan-made. I do not own the characters, Hiro Mashima does. However, I do own the plot idea. Enjoy "Memories", featuring the Sola Tree!

Sometimes, the guild at Fairy Tail was just a bit too rambunctious, even for a fighting-loving Gray Fullbuster. One too many tables had smashed his scowling face. He muttered a disgruntled 'we'll continue this later' incoherently to his boisterous guild mates, and turned away.

"Why're ya leaving, Gray? Finally realize I'm stronger?" Gajeel taunted, flexing his biceps in triumph.

Gray didn't bother looking back, but didn't hesitate to roll his eyes at the Iron Dragon Slayer. Gajeel scoffed from not receiving even a simple taunt back, and went back to fighting Erza, Natsu, and Elfman. Except poor Elfman kept being kicked out of the way, sailing in a circle straight to the ceiling.

"Maaaaan~," Elfman wailed, voice growing thinner by the millisecond. Erza clicked her tongue in mock-pity and welded her sixteenth sword of the evening, lunging straight for Natsu's throat.

Gray pushed open the double doors, feeling a bit of fatigue wash over him. However, the sun was only just now descending, so Gray decided to go sit somewhere quiet, and maybe deal with this pounding headache of his.

Gray decided on the Sola Tree, the pretty tree that budded small pink flowers in the spring. It was late winter now, so the blossoms would be blooming soon. Gray smiled to himself contently and made his way to Southgate Park.

Hands shoved in his pockets and whistling a random tune, Gray entered the park, dodging a flying disc thrown by a little girl, and biting his lip longingly at all the happy couples of all ages. Gray's hands reflexively clenched in his baggy black sweatpants, and he quickly headed to the tree he's known all his life.

Gray absolutely did not want to think about his own love life right now, even thought there were couples in every direction here. If he did that, his crush would just overtake his mind and wouldn't leave, no matter how hard Gray pounded his head against his bedroom pillows in futile attempts to rid his mind of that special someone.

Besides, no way Natsu Dragneel, his rival slash friend liked him, right? He had a thing for Lucy, from what Gray could tell.

Yeah right. Natsu coming out as gay for him? Maybe in his wildest dreams.

On a lucky day.

Upon his arrival, Gray took his usual seat, muscular back pressed against the thick tree trunk, legs shot out in front of him, facing the rushing riverbed about ten feet away. The sunset was reflecting lightly against the clear water, casting a orange tint to the river. Clovers surrounded Gray, creating a softer surface to sit against.

Gray closed his eyes and basked in the sound of the birds and the faint whoops and hollers of children in the distance.

A clear memory of ten years ago recollected in his mind, and Gray had to smirk at what happened right here at this tree.

A young Gray was exploring the park, as most nine year olds love to do, when he heard a small whimper. Gray heard it, but wasn't sure if his ears were playing tricks on him.

There it was again.

Gray then heard a sniffle and another whimper. Gray followed the puny sounds, leading up to the Sola Tree, now about twelve feet shorter, only to find a small boy sitting there. Scratched-up knees were pressed up to his face, and tiny arms were wrapped around his frame like a glove. Gray recognized the boy's scaled muffler and pink hair as that new guild member.