Chapter 21

Greetings my lovely readers,

For a change I have added in a pov for Jonah. It's for this chapter only and it's marked as the sections switch between him and Ivy. 

xMishx

IVY'S POV

I had done as he had asked, I stayed inside the house. There was little choice, if I didn't he would have sent me to my parents and then I really would be under house arrest. That first night he had spent the majority of it outside with the guards, not returning until two am. By then he was far too tired to keep his promise but I didn't care. He was in our bed with me, he pulled me to his body and we rested for a few hours. The rogues had either been killed or had retreated. But they kept coming, we were now at the fifth night since that awful fight that Jonah and I had. Night after night the guards kept their advances to a good distance but the rogues persisted. Where they had come from we had no clue, somewhere in the depths of the nearby cities they had been hiding. Finn had brought in several teams of werewolves to search the surrounding towns, finding nothing. It was peculiar, how they could hide from the werewolves was a feat in itself. Finn was stumped and annoyed, they didn't take their failure too well. Somehow the humans hid from the very keen sense of smell the werewolves had. Maybe they hid in the sewers or underground tunnels. Maybe they had made their own tunnels. Alina had sent more security for us, the werewolves were still trying to track their hideouts. I had to give the guards their dues, they did their job unlike the last time the rogues attacked us. Clearly Jonah's ultimatum had sunk in. Problem was the rogues had a plan, for as stupid as they were by comparison to a normal human they had figured out one pretty cunning plan.

They had originally started to attack from all aspects of the compound, as if they were trying to find a weak spot. The guards were picking them off in large numbers but I had seen their efforts before, there would be more, they would be lying in wait. Waiting for one fatal move. They started to congregate around the southern end of compound, the guards never saw their next move coming. I was still restricted to the house; Jonah was being his usual over protecting self. He hadn't changed in the past five days, he was still a grump, he was still being overbearing. I had said nothing about the restrictions even though I wanted to. My hopes that he would ease up on me if I behaved myself were dashed away, he still made Muriel sit with me. So there I was, a fully grown adult vampire with a maid for a babysitter. I felt sorry for Muriel, she was so awkward and uncomfortable as we sat on the outdoor lounge looking out over the darkened land. The sounds of Molotov cocktails hitting the walls and the machine guns firing made her jump. I looked at the panic on her face, maybe she was the one being babysat. She was so freaked out. I poured the tea for her, hoping it would calm her. All it did was add the sound of shaking crockery to the sounds of the night.

I stared out over the land, it was so beautiful even if it was arid and in a bad way. The weather here was always odd; nature wasn't coping with the sudden changes to the earth. Water had disappeared too fast, many of the plants were withered to nothing. The poor old girl was suffering and those fools out there couldn't see what we were doing was for the greater good. We wanted humans to survive, we needed them. They however couldn't see that. All they could see in this place was one giant farm to breed our food. They thought that we were treating the humans like cattle but it wasn't the case. In the distance I could see movement, a blur of black among the thinned out scrub. I stood to the edge of the balcony, watching the movements. It wasn't animal, I sniffed the wind taking in the familiar scent, it was human. I moved quickly to the far wall, standing on the edge of the balcony. Around the wall I could see the miniature battle taking place, far away. This was their plan and the guards had fallen for it. I knew I couldn't get Jonah's attention, he would be in the midst of dealing with the guards, the noise was far too great. He would be very distracted. I jumped down and raided my box, thankfully and very strangely still here.