Chapter 3

Jonah was at the counter, the waitress behind the counter was fluttering her eyes at him. I could understand it, he is gorgeous. No, gorgeous was an understatement. I hadn't ever been to Chuckie's; it was a cute little diner that was full of customers which was a good sign. We were sitting in a half circle booth that faced a row of free standing tables and chairs. Beyond that was a row of large windows that showed the bustling mid jump. The hard black plastic of the booth seat was awful to sit on but I figured it was to match the black and white theme they had going on. Natalie was grinning like a complete loon as she sat down, moving halfway around. As I sat down, I waited for the onslaught.

"Oh my god, he was so hitting on you."

And there it was.

"Was not."

"He was, suggesting to stop by and get your cards done." she frowns "What's that?"

"His mother is the phoenix vampire. He is a phoenix vampire. They can do card readings."

"Oh."

We watch him at the counter, waiting for the drinks.

"That was why he said to not curtsy, technically you should have."

"But."

"He is without his king's guard."

"He would be safe in mid jump; no human can get in here."

"Yeah I know that." I shrug "Might just be about not having people stare at him."

"How do you know him?"

"Our parents are friends; we grew up together. We have spent a lot of time together, especially seeing as my parents have been trying to over populate the planet, his mum was always around, play dates, looking after me and my siblings... you know."

"Looking after you?" she frowns "You've got staff for that."

"Yeah but Miranda likes kids, so she didn't care."

Jonah places three large glasses of wonderful smelling blood onto the table. Natalie slides herself to the end, ensuring that Jonah has no choice where to sit. I wanted to smack her but the table was far too wide to reach across. I move along the bench seat for Jonah, feeling the tension rise just a fraction. As he passes the drinks around, Natalie looks at me with a smug look on her face. She was out to play matchmaker.

I can feel the darkness rising in my eyes, the lust burning through me. He was right when he said that it was tasty. As the waitress brings the food out for us I hear giggling passing us. I looked through the windows, walking along the corridor is Lucian and Ariella, wrapped up in each other's arms, looking very much in love.

"So what's it like working for the future boss man?" Natalie gushes as she tries to crane her neck to see through the window, no doubt perving on Lucian.

Jonah rolls his eyes.

"Nice guy and I guess it would be ok on a social level, you know functions and what not but yeah..." his eyes wide, looking away. "Of course I am expected to follow my father's footsteps, being senior adviser to the current ruler, becoming senior adviser to Lucian when it's his turn. Until then I get to be his secretary... sorry, personal assistant I believe my title is."

"I sense a but coming." I grin.

"Yep. I don't like knowing what goes on behind closed doors."

I take a sip of my drink, hoping he won't tell me, knowing I probably don't want to know.

"But never mind about him. Are you going to the liberty ball? It's at my place this year." He grins, very cheekily.

"What do you mean this year? It's the first year." I laugh.