Chapter 12

We waited for the doors to open, waiting by the loading dock, trucks ready to take on their vast loads. The doors opened and the trolleys were pulled out and every vamp grabbed one, taking a section each, raiding it for everything they could fit in the trolleys. I moved through the department store. One of the vamps took the book section, taking every single book he could fit in. I went to the baby section, knowing it would be a necessity, baby clothes - every single article was taken from the racks and by the time I had finished the trolley was full. I raced it back to the doors, collecting another trolley to get toys, nappies, feeding equipment. The shelves were bare as I took the last trolley load to the doors, the other trolleys were being loaded out the doors into the waiting truck. I grabbed another trolley and raided the entertainment section, CD's, DVD's, games, the glass windows got smashed and the consoles were taken. I watched as another vamp raced past with a trolley load of toys, then rushed back with an empty one. Everyone was in a hurry, knowing that we could hit the shop over in an hour and get the truck on its way to the compound after a few shops. Once I had finished with the entertainment section, I went down to household goods, things that I would never have thought of. Being that I have maids to tend to my household duties, I had not thought of something as simple as a clothes peg. But there it was, the laundry section, the kitchen utensils, bed linen. For a second I thought I was out of my league, but then my mind snapped at me, telling me that Jonah would be waiting for this. As the last of the things was removed the head of the king's guard did a final check with me, whilst the storage area out the back was raided. The truck doors shut, the driver and his guard were sent on their way and we took another truck to another store, this time it was a baby specialist store that we were going to knock over.

Two days of knocking stores over had passed. There were a few stores that had already been raided and were very empty. Some places had been trashed, graffiti all over the walls, things smashed to the ground. I had wondered if there would be enough space for all of this at the compound because every single department store, baby store, libraries, arcades, clothing stores, furniture stores, electrical stores that we could find was raided. The trucks would leave and we would move on to the next store. The last on our list was the grocery shops. We couldn't get too much from these ones, just the non-perishables, everything else was rotten. But it was worth it, every single item that we could take, we did, right down to cleaning products. As the boxes of cloth nappies were loaded onto the truck I wondered about the babies.

"We should raid a maternity wing."

The head kings guard nodded at me and once the supermarket had been emptied of everything we could use, we moved onto the hospital. I wasn't sure of what was needed, none of us had any clue. So, again we took everything. Cribs, blankets, equipment, even the beds. Thank the stars we have the big trucks to haul this stuff. When we had filled the last truck that we had stolen, we discussed the next move. Trying to think if there was something that we may have missed.

"I suppose we could always come back, once the trucks have been emptied."

"Of course and next time we raid a hospital we could bring a nurse with us to advise us."

"Yes, that is a good idea."

The last of the things were loaded onto the truck and we were on our way, we were going to the compound.

**********************************

I dreamily gazed out the window of the truck, watching the landscape was monotonous. It was the same, minute after minute would pass and all I would see was dark red dirt, ripples formed in the ground as the wind had carved its path. Something glinted in the rear vision mirror, a flick of light from the sun as it hit something metal behind us. It was enough to get my attention, I focused in on the person on the motorcycle.