Chapter 16

Benjamin

Still on the 19th Day

It was one more of my uncontrollable commitments. One of those dreary days in that I would have to talk my psychologist, who is also my aunt, about the last days. Once a month I had to forget that she was my father's sister and the better friend of my mother and opened my heart and mind to her. She was trying to convince me that she never told any of what we said to my parents, but I was never confident. My mother always looked at me strangely after a day of the appointment. It was her time, and my aunt catches up on all the gossip.

That day I woke up without complaining. I always complained when I had an appointment, but this never made my mother give up booking the appointment for me. Since I became paraplegic, it took a while for me to get used to my mother bathing and dressing me. I could have opted for a nurse, but I would find it even more embarrassing. After a while, I started my attempts to dress me, after many falls and frustrations I finally succeeded. Of course, that it required a good deal of my time and a little technical skill. I could not wear my pants in less than ten minutes but still is better than letting my mom do it.

The ride to my aunt's office was not too long, but my mother insisted that we should go by car nothing convinced her to walk.

I thought it was going to be one of those routine appointments, but I was utterly mistaken when my aunt opened the door, and behind her, a slim girl with her clear glasses left right after her. Elle was ashamed, and the first question that surrounded me was what she was, be doing here? I did not have time to ask my question since she left hurriedly without greeting me.

If Elle thought she would escape me, she was very wrong. I went after her. I wanted an urgent answer. I saw the exit door closing behind her; I reached the doorknob and opened it. I left, turned the wheelchair and went to the ramp. I felt useless for being in a wheelchair; it would be easier to stalk her if I could run. I thought I could not reach her, but the traffic of that day was chaotic, doing the work I could not do in my conditions: Prevent Elle from crossing the street.

I confronted her, who insisted on lying. I knew she was lying, but when she said the truth, my mind did not reason right, the fact was that my mind never reasoned right. Elle hurt me. I never think Elle do plotting behind my back would cause me so much pain. So what I had to do is hurt her how she hurt me, not that I say the words: I hate you, would hurt her so much. I did not know if Elle cared about what I felt for her. She looked devastated, but in my suspicious little head, she was just like that why she was caught in the act.

My appointment was more than late; the other patient was already waiting his turn. I did not want to harm auntie why I left at the time of my appointment, but I would not go there while my aunt does not talk what Elle had confessed to her, but of course, I do my aunt, tell something would be a virtually impossible task. She was very professional.

I entered the office without at least say my usual good morning and my smile that everything is fine. Then my aunt would do not ask too many questions. I went straight to what interests me:

"What did Elle come to ask you?"

"Benjamin the appointments are stealthy, I cannot say anything about what she came to do here."

"You can."

"No, I can't."

I spent half an hour arguing with her about it until my throat was dry. She was irreducible. When the appointment ended, I stayed there with my mother. She and my aunt always have lunch together after of my appointment. I always preferred to go home, but that day I decided to stay since I could not persuade her into your office, his nephew Ben would do this in another location.