Chapter Six.

Dearest diary,

So I managed to guilt the truth out of the bunch of them and to say that I was pleased with result would be a lie.

The mad man got me a house and David helped him! Honestly I don't know how to take it. I feel like it is too extravagant a gift and it's hard for me to accept it.

Bla bla bla...Hate me all you want, but this me and my decision to make. Not yours.

************************************************************

“How’s the new house?” the question is asked and I frown back at the face etched on the screen before me.

“Did everyone know about that apart from me?”

The face cracks into a wide grin, uncharacteristic of it owner.

“Your sister told me when we spoke yesterday.”

“Figures.” I reply remembering how surprised I was at Troy’s Christmas gift to me. “I am not sure if I want to accept it.”

“Why not?” my father asks, a concerned look marring his features.

“It’s...too much?”

“Attara, a sign of humility is having the grace to accept gifts. Whatever is stopping you is just pride and you can’t take that with you where you’re going.”

“Where am I going?”

“You don’t know?” he asks with lifted eyebrows.

“I know.” I reply, my mind going back to the my dreams that I have for a long time and that I am planning to put in action.

“Your star is huge and with it attracts alot of favour. I know that you are used to things going wrong in your life, but you shouldn't let that stop you. Fear and Pride can cripple you and in the few years to come, you will be very mad at yourself for the opportunies that you let go by, because of them. I for one know that by receiving that gift you will save a lot of money in rent and you also owe it to Briella. If you detest him that much you can always pass it on to her.”

My mind registers his words and I perceive the truth in them. I store them away should I ever need them, but a small part tags at my conscience and I turn to back to adress it.

“Dad...I don’t detest him.”

“I know.” my father says grinning back at me. “Even though you like keeping secrets, I can read you like an open book.”

“Yes?”

“Yea. You two got back together. That explains his need to compliment you with such an outlandish gift.”

My jaw drops at his observations and he lets out another chuckle.

“By that expression I assume I am right?”

I nod.

“Good. I am glad you came back to your senses and stopped torturing the poor guy. He's been pining over you for the last three years and at one point it git to watch.”

At that I grin. It's a sick thing to do when one is describing the pain of another human but my father does it in such a comical way that I can't help it.

“I didn’t know that you noticed.”

“Pft!” my dad says in such an unflattering manner that I can’t help the laugh that follows.“ One would have to be blind and deaf not to notice the tension around you and your mother, all because of him. So, will you take my advice and take it? Rejection can be very wounding to a man’s ego especially after he's put so much thought into trying to please you.”