02. OF A BEDRIDDEN ANGEL

Start from the beginning

Lucifer inwardly rolled his eyes when he read the doctor's mind. What is the name of this doctor? He slithered inside the human doctor's mental fortress. Just as the doctor worked on Lucifer, every touch was intrusive to Lucifer's body. Lucifer did the same to the doctor. He invaded the labyrinth of mind of the doctor like a wraith in a mist. His name was Ricky Henderson. He had a teenage son and his wife died of breast cancer seven years ago.

How utterly boring. There wasn't anything interesting about the doctor. He was just an honest old man who loved his job and his son. Lucifer withdrew from the doctor's mind. Not satisfied to any degree, his own mind flitted towards the only person who Lucifer definitely interested in and cared about. The human girl.

She was in another room, not far from Lucifer and also being operated on. But this time, it was a life or death surgery. She needed it. Her legs were wrecked beyond despair. They were crushed between the seat and the front of the car. Lucifer willed the human girl's surgeon to perform to the best of her ability. He whispered words that were only meant for the female surgeon. Pushing and stretching her ability and skills to save lives.

The female surgeon began to work harder with newfound efficiency. Her hands were instruments of mending and healing. Lucifer had willed it that way. If she failed to save the human girl, he would do by any necessary means to bring back the girl. He would sacrifice the female surgeon's life. A trade, a soul for a soul. Lucifer was willing to do it. He in his spirit form, watched the girl lay unconscious, still bloodied. Death was reluctant to let her go.

He tugged her life's thread and fused it with his power. You shall live, mortal girl. I will see to it. Lucifer continued observing the girl's surgery. Occasionally glaring at the female surgeon, pushing her skills further, and holding the girl's life thread. So be it, if he was actually playing tug-of-war with the Fates. He wouldn't allow those three old hags to snip the thread! Or else, he'd dip their precious yarns into a boiling pot full of goose fat the next time he pays them a visit.

The light of life returned to the girl's countenance. Lucifer witnessed it and he sank next to her. Everything would be alright after all. The girl would survive.

He proceeded to return to his own corporeal body. Smiling internally and happily letting Dr. Henderson perform surgery on him.

***

     The next morning, Lucifer woke up with a big surprise waiting for him. This was such a big novelty for Lucifer. He wasn't easily surprised and not much could baffle him. After all, he was the incarnation of an enigma himself. But at sharp nine o'clock in the morning, a witch, a vampire man, and a demon boy walked into his room. Lucifer could definitely think one or two jokes with that.

He was lying in his bed, pretending to be sleeping, deep in a coma, or whatever he was supposed to do after a four-hours long unnecessary surgery. He was assessing the situation through his seventh sense. Pondering what was happening. Lucifer instantly knew who was the biggest threat between the three newcomers. It was the demon boy. Hostility radiated from the green-eyed boy.

Although the witch was the most powerful between her companies and way ancient, brimming with knowledge. She didn't pose any threat to Lucifer. The vampire, was the tallest and Lucifer estimated his age to be around seventy years old in the body of a mid-twenties handsome man. The three stood awkwardly, resembling wooden soldiers, and they were surveying the room, the beeping heart monitor, and the sleeping Lucifer.

Dr. Henderson appeared.

"Hello, Mrs. Black and Mr. Black!" the doctor greeted enthusiastically, didn't show any sign of fatigue, as if he hadn't just got through a grueling surgery this morning. "Good news about your son, he's in a stable condition!" he said.