She hoped that a few days at home would reset everything and she could return refreshed and ready to take on Naraku. Plus, she could stock up on treats for Rin. She would miss Sesshomaru but she knew she would be back again.

***

“You’re going back again? But you just got back,” Rin protested, holding onto Lyra's hand as they made their way to the well.

Sesshomaru was leading the way with Jaken at his side whilst the two girls followed behind.

Lyra laughed nervously. “I know, Rin. I’m sorry. I just need to see my dad.”
Jaken grumbled, crossing his arms. “Such a nuisance having to escort you. Good riddance I say!”

A simple glare and a sound of disapproval from Sesshomaru was enough for Jaken to eat up his own words.

“I-I mean it's a pleasure, Lady Lyra!”
Lyra chuckled, shaking her head before returning to Rin. “And there’s many more treats I want to buy you. I promise I won’t be gone for long. It will only be a few days,” she said as they reached the well.
Rin hugged Lyra around her legs, grinning up at her. “Just come back soon. I’ll miss you!”
“I’ll miss you as well, Rin,” she smiled, ruffling her hair. After she let go, Lyra turned to Sesshomaru. “Try not to miss me too much.”
Sesshomaru held her chin gently, tilting her face up slightly. “That will be impossible, my beloved.”
She laughed quietly. “I’ll miss you too.”

After sharing a short kiss, Lyra climbed onto the edge of the well and jumped in. Before she knew it, she was back in her world. After a quick greeting to her aunt and Kagome's grandfather, she stole some of her aunt’s cooking and made her way to her car.

On the journey, her mind was filled with numerous thoughts. The last thing she told her father was that she didn’t wish to marry Kanda because she was in love with Sesshomaru. She could recall the disappointment in his voice before promising to talk more after she returned. She wasn’t looking forward to the talk but she knew it was unavoidable. Now that Sesshomaru had proposed to her, she hoped her father would give her his blessings.

After a couple of hours, she parked up in front of her house before heading inside.

“I’m back!” she yelled into the house.
Seconds later, Renji had appeared in front of her. “Ah, Lyra! What a lovely surprise.” He pulled her into a hug, which she returned before letting go. “How is everything over there?”
“Still a bit hectic,” she admitted whilst flopping onto the couch. “I got captured by Naraku but Sesshomaru came to my rescue.”
Renji's expression instantly faltered. “Why don’t you freshen up? I want to talk about what you told me before you left.”

Lyra nodded hesitantly before going up to her room. Renji sighed deeply. He didn’t know how he was going to tell her that he’s agreed to the marriage on her behalf. In fact, he probably wasn’t going to tell her at all. He had to get her to marry Kanda no matter what.

Just as Lyra got out of the bathroom, she heard her phone ring. ‘Kanda?’

“Hello?” she answered.
“Hey, Lyra. How are you?” He sounded like his usual self.
“I’m great,” she replied as she sat on her bed. “And you?”
“I'm well. I haven’t contacted you since you left since I thought you’d be busy with your grandfather. How is he? If there’s anything I can do, just let me know.”
She couldn’t help but smile at his selfless nature. “Thank you. He’s actually doing quite well now. He’ll be back to his old self in no time.”
“That's good to hear.”
“Your timing is seriously impeccable, Kanda. I literally got home a few minutes ago.”
He chuckled softly. “Call it a sixth sense. Ah, I would like to see you but they’ve sent me away to another hospital for a couple of days.”
“Don’t worry about it. I wanted to speak to you about something actually, but it would be better face to face,” she said, forcing her voice to stay calm.
“Okay. I’ll call you again once I’m back and we’ll arrange to meet.”
“Perfect. I’ll see you then.”
“Take care, Lyra.”
“You too.”