Chapter 4

"Kylee." Bridget shook me lightly, trying to wake me up.

"Yeah?" I mumbled, my voice raspy. 

"I'm sorry to wake you up, but I need to leave for work, and since you're not doing anything, I thought you could come with me." I looked up to see her smiling face, her hair put up in a bun and her eyes lined with eyeliner. 

I would love to join her, but she knows how I feel about hospitals. I bit my lip as I thought about the pros and cons of going. 

"I don't think that's a good idea mom, you know how I feel about that place." I said, tearing my gaze away from her. 

"I know honey, but I was thinking that it would be a good experience and you could watch people save lives for others. It's a remarkable thing to watch." I take in her words. Why didn't anyone save Aaron? I look up at her once more, she took my hand in hers and started to rub circles on my hand. I couldn't say no. Maybe this would give me some closure that I needed.

I sighed. "Okay Bridget, I'll come." 

"Really?" Her eyes twinkled.

"Yeah, just let me get dressed." She gave me a hug and kiss on the cheek and walked out. I fell back on the bed and covered my eyes with my hands. I hope this is a good idea. 

After getting dressed,  I went downstairs to eat a granola bar and then got in the car with Bridget.

"Thank you for joining me today, I think it will benefit you." She smiled, grabbing my hand once more. I know she's just trying to help, but I don't see the point in this. I'll try for Aaron though.

"I hope so." I mumbled, putting my seat belt on and looked out the window. Bridget drove, none of us speaking but it was a comfortable silence. I watched the trees fly by, one by one. Soon enough we were at the hospital. I felt queasy, like I was going to throw up the granola bar I had before we came here.

"We're here." Bridget pointed out the obvious.

I took a deep breath and walked out. The hospital smelled like pure shit. This is one of the worst smells that exists.

"Good Morning Chad." Bridget greeted one of the male nurses. He was about thirty something and he looked like he had too much coffee, which I'm assuming he did, judging by the big mug that he took a sip out of. He greeted Bridget right back and gave me a smile. I gave a smile to Chad as well, being polite.

Bridget walked in the halls and I followed behind like a lost puppy, smiling at some of the people who smiled at me.

Bridget stopped in front of a room and took the clipboard skimming over it a few times.

"Okay, so this is the patient that came here," She said, pointing at the closed door. " the one who was having heart problems." I nodded my head.

"I have to check up on her, if you want you can walk in there with me." She opened the door and I followed, not wanting to look suspicious. A woman was lying on the hospital bed and holding, I'm assuming, her husbands hand.

"Hello Carrie, how are you feeling?" Bridget asked the woman. She looked like she hasn't slept in a few days.

"I'm doing well, I'm just tired."

"That's normal, the medicine we gave you makes you feel a bit drowsy." Bridget smiled.

The woman directed her attention to me and my cheeks instantly flush.

"And who is this?"

"This is my daughter, Kylee." Bridget introduced us.

"Hi." I mumbled and gave an awkward wave her direction.