IX: A Word

"Hey, Odessa. Heard your brother wants to be a pilot for the Resistance!" Some boys yelled, it was after school. The group was the same age as my brother, a bunch of snot nosed twelve-year olds. That made me fourteen. Nodding slightly, confirming the statement. My brother stood close to me, holding dearly onto his lunch pail that was adorned with x-wing fighters.

"What a moron to think he could!" Another bellowed, out of the corner of my eye I could see my brothers head drop.

Before I could assure him they're just kid, one of them ran up grabbing his container throwing it into the streets. My brother just watched. My attention turned to the boy, a now hard look graced my features.

"Go get that right now." I spoke sternly, the boy just crossed his arms.

"Or what? You'll go tell your mommy on me? Boo-hoo! Waa!" He mock-cried, my fist clenched as anger began to bubble in me. Cain tugged my sleeve, looking to him I could see his eyes begging for us to leave. One thing these boys need to learn now, is not to mess with a Paki. I looked at the boy being rooted on by his friends.

And swiftly, by balled fist collided with his nose. Retracting it, the twelve-year old grabbed his bleeding nose quickly. He shrieked.

"Or else that." I looked to the other three boys behind him threateningly. They stood there shocked, before taking off. The last one followed them yelling for them to wait up.

I moved in front of Cain, "Don't you ever take any hell from anyone. Not even those idiots." I told him sternly, quickly I retrieved his box from the street. And we were off again on our way home.

I woke up with a jump, I was on a ship with Resistance fighters. A giant wookie sitting next to me. Pain quickly found its way to the side of my head where I was struck. My hand shot up to it, finding them once more in. You guessed it! Handcuffs. Chewie took notice to my awakening, groaning out a sorry.

"Yeah, yeah. Save it, furball." His eyes narrowed at me, "Hey, it wasn't fuzzball." I said defensively. He stood up as the carriers doors began to open, revealing the base. Chewie escorted me out, before turning me over to a man. Roughly he grabbed me.

"Hey, hey! Careful there!" I tore my arm away from him. He scoffed.

"Not for the likes of you, Kou the bounty hunter." He spat at me, grabbing my arm once more leading me into the base.

"Ah, my presence has been announced I see." I said mockingly.

"Keep it moving, scum."

I was forced to change into some tattered clothes, I reluctantly changed. Handing over my outfit, slightly happy about it. Because those things smelt so terribly after all that has happened to me. Shortly after a guard came to the confined room, taking me to my cell. As soon as he got me in. I turned to fight him, kicking his chest. But little did I know how much pain that would shoot through my leg.

Letting out a pained scream, I fell to the ground. Another guard was helping up the man I knocked down. Once up, he pulled me up from the ground. Clipping my cuffs to the chains on a wall.

"A nurse will be here to dress your wounds." And with that they were gone, leaving me to my cell.

Minutes passed slowly, and the door opened. Revealing a younger woman, accompanied by two guards. Warily she made her way to me with a tray of medical tools. Stretching out my leg, she went to work. Cleaning it, watching me, bandaging it. She tried to do her work as quick as she could.

Sitting forward, she stopped working looking at me with wide fearful eyes. The guards at the door now had their hands on their batons, watching and waiting. I rolled my eyes at everyone's reaction, but I couldn't blame them.

"A word from me to you, I ain't gonna hurt you." I winked at her, leaning back again. She nodded nervously, going back to work. Looking at my exposed leg. I could now see that the wound that was now being covered up. Was only along the side of it, more of a flesh wound. I was thankful it didn't do any more damage than it had already done.

As she finished up, she looked at me. I raised my eyebrow waiting for her to do something.

"Kou, what is your real name?" She said sternly, which surprised me from how mousy she was mere seconds ago. I relaxed against the wall.

"I, I," She was waiting, leaning forward slightly ready for my answer. "I think I'm going to take a nap." I closed my eyes, pretending to fall asleep.

"Oh, Kou. You'll tell us sooner or later, and if there's any good in you. I hope it's soon." She spoke calmly. She wasn't quiet with leaving, matter of fact rather loud. The guards weren't any better.

Rude, I'm trying to take a nap here.