XIII: A Change of Heart

Her eyes were wide, blinking a couple times.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't know." She uttered quickly, slightly embarrassed. I shrugged it off, smiling at her.

"So, that means you're Odessa?" my face showed my confusion as to how she knew my name, "Cain told me about his sister, what happened to your home and family. How he thought you were dead. For the first few weeks in training he was so depressed, he almost failed his first exam because of it." my heart panged from hearing that.

"Trust me, I felt the same exact way when I thought all my family was gone. But, here he is. Well and alive." I smiled, still giddy about being with my brother. She smiled gently, grabbing hold of a medallion she held around her neck.

Paige looked at me, "Honestly, I don't know what I would've done dare I lost my sister like you two did." dropping the necklace back to its resting place, "Here, these clothes should fit you fine." She motioned to what was on the bed. Walking over I picked them up, she began walking towards the door.

"I'll be right outside with the commander." and like that she was gone. Looking back to the clothes she set out for me, I began to undress from the sandy colored rags I was currently in. She was right, they fit me well.

I walked in front of the full length mirror she had. A white, long sleeved crop top that was maybe an inch above my navel. Revealing scars that told my story. A loose sandy colored jacket that reached just below my butt. And black pants that fit me well. I fixed my knotted hair, putting half of it into a bun on the back of my head. Last, I put the dark brown boots on. Taking in a deep breath, I opened the door.

Paige and Poe were talking outside, when I stepped out of her room. They both look at me. She smiled, approving her choice of clothing for me. Poe stared, his lips parted slightly before coming back together.

"You look hot." Paige said nodding her head, she turned back to Poe, "She's in your hands now, commander." She smiled at me before walking back into her room. I raised my eyebrows at Poe, as I could hear the door behind me close and lock. He looked down at the floor quickly, then back to me.

"Organa's been waiting long enough, let's go." He lead me once more through the winding halls. Poe was a couple paces ahead of me. Naturally, being in my situation as second nature I remembered the layout of hallways. I did this when I would develop an escape plan. I shook my head, my steps faltered and Poe noticed.

"You okay?" He asked turning to face me, closing the space between us. Nodding, I looked up at him with a small sheepish smile.

"Yeah, just old habits and hard to kill." I explained, his lips curled in a half smile.

"Trying to figure out how to kill me?" He joked, shifting slightly. It was me who laughed at this.

"No, just map in my head of your base." I admitted, "If I wanted to kill you, I wouldn't have to plan it out. And let me tell you, commander, that wouldn't be very hard." Smiling up at him nonchalantly. He blinked a couple times, he lifted his hand to say something. Leaning my head forward ready for his comeback.

But instead he just turned around and kept walking, satisfied with shutting up the cocky pilot I followed him. He lead me to the control room, I stopped in my tracks which he took notice of again. He walked back to me. A look of amusement on his face.

"Cold feet?" He asked teasingly, I shook my head. Walking forward, embracing him. He stood there frozen. One of the most deadly women from the First Order was hugging him. Slowly, he put his strong arms around me as well.

"Thank you, Poe Dameron. Thank you for reuniting my brother and I." I whispered into his chest. I could hear his heartbeat, it slowed down from it speeding for some reason.

"Of course, kid." he mumbled, looking down at me.

"Don't call me that."

"Okay, kid."

After our embrace, I was the first to release. He opened the door to the control room, I looked around as I studied their screens. Amazing. Truly amazing how much information they had on the First Order, how they have a team just for scrambling transmissions and intercepting messages. I was impressed.

"Hey scum, keep your eyes to yourself." A man looked up at me from his screen. Rude. But I couldn't blame him. For all they knew I was still working for Snoke. My eyes rolled, as he just glared at me before returning to whatever it was he was already doing.

As my vision returned to the front of me, there she stood. The woman I was talking to yesterday. I sucked in a breath, nervous now. Poe reached her first, whispering something in her ear. Her eyes left the table she was looking at, to find me. Standing there shyly out of place. A gentle smile graced her lips, she had aged beautifully. I remember as a little girl, seeing photos of her.

General Organa strolled up to me, "So, I've been told you have some things to tell me. Odessa Paki." She didn't say it very loud, but loud enough for the room to hear. Heads turned to the older woman and I, my true identity revealed. I could feel the looks on me. I nodded, and by the shock and surprise that filled the room with whispers. I knew my next words would create an even bigger stir.

"Yes, I'm going to help you destroy the First Order."