twenty one

|CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE|THE GATE IS CLOSED

THE GATE IS CLOSED

"Help!"
Armani and Mike's screams mixed together and filled the empty tunnels. Armani reached for her bat and began to hit the vine that wrapped around her leg.

"Mani!" "Mike!" The others voices rushed back and soon enough everyone ran forward, pulling and trying to get the two up. "Everybody back!" Steve yelled, he continuously hit the vines until they snapped off. The younger teens helped Mike up quickly, making sure he was okay. Steve helped Armani up, when he touched her arm a sharp pain ran through it. "Shit!" She hissed, not able to move the arm in the sling.

"We gotta go!" Lucas yelled, but was interrupted by the growl of a demodog. Everyone turned quickly, and not three feet from them was Dart. Dustin stepped up, his arms out as he protected everyone behind him.

"Dart." The monster growled at the name, everyone urged Dustin to get back, but he shushed them. "Trust me, please." He whispered, stepping closer to the agitated monster.

"Hey. It's me. It's me. Your friend. It's Dustin." The curly haired boy took off his goggles and bandanna, he bent closer to the monster. "He's gonna die." Armani muttered.

"It's Dustin, alright? remember me?" He asked, the demodog inched closer, quiet and showed no sign of attacking. "Will you let us pass?" Dustin asked, the monster growled, his face opened as he shrieked, making everyone jump back quickly. "Okay, I'm sorry. I'm sorry about the storm cellar. That was a pretty douchey thing to do." Dustin whispered quietly as he continued to talk to the monster.

"He's insane!" Lucas hissed, everyone shushed him. "Shut up." Steve warned, his knuckles had turned white from gripping his bat so hard.

Armani watched in awe as Dustin fed the monster. She still wanted to smash it's brains in for what they did to her father, but it was strange that the demodog seemed to like Dustin, even after he tried to kill him.

The monster was eating a bar of candy Dustin had gave him. The teen motioned for everyone to go past while the demodog was distracted. They carefully crept out into the other tunnel, then once Dustin joined them, they sprinted towards the exit. The running was exhausting, and breathing the air in those tunnels didn't help.

Suddenly, the tunnels shook violently, and everyone was knocked off their feet. "What the hell," Armani muttered. A screech was heard somewhere far off, Max turned to everyone. "What was that?" worry rang in her voice.

More roars came from behind, everyone turned but saw nothing. "They're coming." Mike nodded. "Run! Run!" He continued.
"Let's go!" Armani urged, she ran with the others as they tried to find their way to the hole they came in from. "There! There!" Lucas pointed at the rope that hang from outside. "Come on, let's go!" Steve yelled over the nearing screeches, stopping at the rope and helping everyone up.

"You can do it, Mani" Steve picked up Armani, she tried to pull herself up with one arm as the other kids tried to pull her up without hurting her. "Jesus!" She yelled when she finally made it up. "Dustin! Hurry up! Come on!" They yelled for the remaining two to climb up the rope. Then the shrieks grew louder.

"Come on!" Armani leaned over the hole, her hand reaching down as she watched Steve stand infront of Dustin, his bat in his hand. Dustin covered his eyes as the demodogs feet pattered closer. "STEVE!" She shrieked, wincing just before the inevitable screams she was sure to hear.

But she didn't hear them.

She opened her eyes, looking down she watched tens of demodogs rush past Steve and Dustin, who were clutched to eachother. Armani drew in her breath, swallowing hard. "Eleven." Mike whispered.

"Dustin! Steve! Come on!" Armani urged, her voice cracked from emotion.

The others helped pull first Dustin, then Steve up from the hole. "Jesus." He panted, Armani looked up at him. "Oh god." She sighed and pulled him into a tight hug that he returned.

"I thought I was going to lose you." She murmured, Steve nodded as he tried not to hurt her arm. "Yeah, me too." He sighed.

The two pulled away from one another, an awkward silence ensued from the younger teenagers. Armani coughed loudly, "Eleven's closing the gate. That's why the demodogs ignored you guys, right?." Steve nodded, "yeah. Yeah. Sounds rig–"

He was cut off when the headlights to Billy's car brightened, nearly blinding them. They remained silent, shielding their eyes and catching their breath. Once the lights dimmed again, everyone turned to look at one another. "Is that it? Did it work?" Max asked, Lucas shrugged, "only one way to find out."

"Hey hey. Woah, I'm driving this time. Alright?" Steve hollered at the younger teens, who were returning the equipment to the trunk of the car. "Yeah yeah yeah. Sure thing, Mom." Max teased, receiving a tired laugh from everyone but Steve.

"Come on, it smells like rotting pumpkins, let's get out of here." Armani added. Steve nodded, handing Armani his bat, which she took with an eyebrow arched. "You want me to put this back for you?" "Please?" Steve cooed, Armani took a deep breath as she tossed the bat into the trunk of the car. Once he closed trunk, Steve took her hand in his. "Love ya, Newby."

✧ ✧ ✧
( note! )

I am currently SCREAMING and CRYING. This is the second to last chapter! Thank you thank you for reading and voting and commenting and loving Mani as much as (Steve and) I do!
An official thank you will come after the last chapter, which will be posted on Saturday!

There will be a book two, but that will be after the release of stranger things 3, so we might have to wait a while. In the meantime, I wrote more information about Armani as a character on my 'Meet My Oc's' book, so check it out! I might also write lil' blurbs and headcannons about her and Steve's relationship. (Starmani? Stemani? Armeve? Harringby? Newton? Newington? Stevani?)

Also! did you catch his last words? Where have I seen those before...hint; check chapter two

Happy reading, and thank you for everything!

paola