nine

|CHAPTER NINE|LAST I LOVE YOUALSO KNOWN ASTHE BAT WITH NAILS

|CHAPTER NINE|
LAST I LOVE YOU
ALSO KNOWN AS
THE BAT WITH NAILS

"So, where are we going today?"

Armani's eyes shined bright, her lips never seemed to stop smiling as she finished plating lunch on the table.

Her dad looked up from where he was toying with a camera, eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What do you mean?"

Armani turned and leaned on the counter, "for our road trip. Remember, we planned this?" Her smile slightly faltered, then Bob nodded.

"Oh, yeah! Sorry my mind went blank. I was thinking we could head over to Joyce's place?"

Armani's smile diminished completely, "what?" She asked, unsure if she had heard her dad clearly.

"Yeah, I was going to go over later after our trip, but Will is sick and I think it would be nice to surprise him" he smiled innocently.

"You want us to go to the Byer's house?" She repeated, to which Bob nodded hesitantly.

"Yeah, is there something wrong with that?" He asked, Armani shook her head as she turned back around to face the window.

"No. No. Absolutely not." She paused and took a deep breath. "I, actually uh, I'll just stay here. Tidy up a bit, you can head over."

Bob sighed, "come on, it'll be fun. You can help me pick out a puzzle for him!"

As her father kept speaking, Armani felt her temper shorten.

"Then you can help him and Jonathan solve it. They'll be just like your brothers."

The last word sent Armani's stomach tumbling, she turned around and spoke with a sharpness that silenced Bob. "Brothers? They're not my brothers! Joyce is not mom! A-And that house is not my home, dad!" She took a deep breath, trying to calm herself down as Bob stood up slowly.

"Right, yeah. I know. I'm sorry, sweetie." He felt a sharp pang in his heart. "I-I'll start up the car, we can go somewhere else. Wherever you'd like"

Armani wished that what her father had said would be enough, but it wasn't. Not now. "No. Just go. I'll find something else to do." She walked and grabbed a puzzle cube from the coffee table. "Here." She placed it on the table with a loud slam before leaving her lunch on the table and isolating herself in her room.

Armani had spent no less than ten minutes alone in her room when she heard a knock on the door.

"Mani? Sweetie, I'm sorry. Are you sure you don't want to go anywhere?" Bob asked through the door, to which Armani responded,

"No. Just go to Joyce's"

Bob sighed and rubbed his temple. "I'll be back soon, Mani. Maybe try to go somewhere? Call the Brown's maybe Sage wants to go grab something to eat with you?" He waited for a minute but was met with only silence.