thirteen

|CHAPTER THIRTEEN|DEMODOGS

|CHAPTER THIRTEEN|
DEMODOGS

"Come-on buddy"

Steve swallowed back his fear, his bat lifted with shaky hands as he whistled, the chittering of the monster was loud enough for him to ignore Armani's calls to get back on the bus.

"Come on buddy. Come on, dinner time" Steve swung his bat back and forth, stopping in front of the pile of raw meat. "Human tastes better than cat, I promise" he spoke softly.

"He's insane" Max shook her head, Dustin grinned.

"He's awesome"

The monster came forward, finally able to see the monster instead of his shadow, Armani's eyes widened. it's skin resembled a reptile, leather like but coated with a slime, she shook her head.

"He's going to die."

She swallowed hard, running towards the front of the bus and grabbing her bat. She tossed the lighter to Dustin, who walked closer. "Armani! You can't go out there!" "Don't move."

Armani's hand shook, barely able to open the bus door, she stepped out. Steve too concentrated on the demodog to turn around.

When she had come closer, the monster opened his mouth lightly, Steve eyed Armani out of the corner of his eye. "I told you to stay inside." He muttered, Armani shrugged lightly, holding her bat up, despite her shaking, to hide her fear.

"You also told me to stay behind you."

The silence was terrifying, the two teens held their bats up, both attempting to hide how scared they were as the Demodog came even closer. "STEVE! ARMANI! WATCH OUT!" Lucas' voice rang through the night, Steve yelling back "We're a little busy here!" As he continued to hold his bat up infront of the monster.

Armani turned around, her eyes landing on two other demodogs. "Steve" her voice barely audible as she held up the bat, back to back with Steve.

"THREE O' CLOCK! THREE O' CLOCK!" Lucas continued, Steve turned to see the other monsters, one more crawling out. His breathing stopped, grabbing Mani's arm out of instinct, "ABORT! ABORT" Dustin opened the door to the bus, Armani and Steve turned in circles, their heavy breathing only overshadowing by the monsters chittering.

The demodog infront of Steve opened it's face, running towards them, the boy pushed Armani out of the way before going the opposite way. He rolled over a car, the monster smashing into the front window. Two of the three dogs ran towards Armani, who ducked under another vehicle. She shot up as one ran back towards her, swinging, she hit it with her bat, the impact was stronger than she imagined and her eyes glazed over as her heart beat filled her eardrums.

She heard more screeches and sounds of impact, knowing Steve had two other creatures after him. A growl emitted from behind Armani, she turned quickly to see a Demodog atop the vehicle, as it jumped towards her, she swung the bat again, only a soft whimper came from the monster as it was shot out.

She turned in time to see Steve hit one of the dogs. The two began running back towards the bus, the dogs on their tail. The three kids yelling at them from the door, "Steve! Run!" "Armani! Hurry!" "Come on!"

The boy tripped, his hand stretched out to stop his fall. "STEVE!" Armani turned and grabbed his arm, lifting him up before she swung at another demodog. Running back towards the bus, Armani rushed in first before Steve slammed the door. The dogs hit the door with a force so strong it moved their fort.

"Shit!" Dustin cried, Armani infront of him with her bat still raised, Steve's leg stopping the door from caving in as he grabbed another piece of metal and wedged it infront of the door.

"They can't get in!" Armani screamed, the bus shook, all of them grabbing on to whatever they could to stay steady. "They can't!" Lucas repeated. The five screamed as the bus tilted backwards, the monster growls stopped as the bus ceased moving.

They turned to the end of the bus, Steve moved, but a claw pierced the layers of metal at the door, everyone screaming as the kids ran towards the back. Steve hit the claw with his bat, yelling incoherently as Armani ran to the back with her bat. Dustin yelled through his headset. "Is anyone there? Mike? Will? God! Anyone!"

Max and Lucas moved, their screams at full volume as another claw pierced through the back, "move!" Armani yelled as she hit the claw with her bat, causing it to retract.

"We're at the old junkyard and we're going to die!" Dustin continued to yell at the silent radio.

Steve grunted, a moment of silence stunned the group. Then the noises moved to the top, everyone looked up to the roof of the bus. Paw like imprints were being made on the metal, Armani and Max looked up, their eyes grew wide. The monster appeared in-front of them, it growled, face starting to open as the two girls screamed, Armani's bat raised as Steve hurried in front of the two. "Out of the way!" He stood face to face with the monster, shaking as his head spun with a million fears.

"You want some!" The monster opened it's face, screeching. "Come get this!" Steve yelled before the monster stopped. It turned it's head towards the distance, Steves bat still raised and ready to swing as the monster growled loudly and ran off. The bus shook with the weight, the monsters growls grew more distant.

They were all breathing heavily, hearts racing and tears formed as Steve stood infront of the ladder with wide eyes. Armani ran to look out the window, "where are they" she whispered, turning as Steve opened the door to the bus slowly.

Steve winced at the doors creaking, looking up just in time to see the last demodog run off, "what happened?" Lucas said, one step behind Armani and Steve.

"I don't know," Max looked around wearily. "Steve scared them off?" Dustin offered.

"No. No way" Steve turned, eyes locking with Armani before he grazed over the three younger teens.

"They're going somewhere" Armani breathed, her ears rang, the echoes of the monsters screeches still on her mind.