ten

|CHAPTER TEN|THE NEVER-ENDING TUNNEL

|CHAPTER TEN|
THE NEVER-ENDING TUNNEL

"Wait a second, how big?"

Steve looked in the rearview mirror as Dustin guessed the size of whatever animal he was talking about.

"First he was like this, then he was like this" the length between Dustin's hands grew as Armani shook her head. Still confused on the whole story he had told.

"This is not real." She looked out the window, it was dark now and her father would probably be wondering where she was.

"I swear to God, man, it's just some little lizard, okay?"

"Yeah. Lizards grow, you know?" Armani added, trying to find any logic in his story.

"It's not a lizard"

"How do you know?" Armani asked, turning around to face Dustin.

"How do I know it's not a lizard?" He repeated, annoyed

"Yeah, how do you know it's not just a lizard!" Steve spoke loudly

"Because his face opened up and he ate my cat" Dustin spoke matter-of-factly.

Armani rolled her eyes, only speaking once Steve nodded in agreement. "You can't seriously believe what he's saying, can you? This is like that upside shit you told me."

"Well, i mean-" steve started before Dustin interrupted.

"Wait hold on. You told her?"

"Y–"

"why would you tell her! Oh shit, you're going to get in trouble" Armani looked between the two arguing.

"Alright, shut up! I swear. My dad's gonna be pissed I'm getting home so late, and I'll have to tell him i was out fighting lizards with a thirteen year old" she sighed.

The car parked in the dark driveway, the two boys got out and Armani followed behind them. As they stood, Steve got a bat with nails sticking out of it from his truck.

"What is that for?" Armani said, backing away from him.

"Precaution" he said, before pulling out another similar bat, and a flashlight. The color was lighter, it seemed less run down, and instead of nails, it had barb wire wrapped around the end.

"Here" he handed it to Armani, who backed up and refused to take it.

"No way I'm taking that. Are you serious, Steve?"

Steve looked back at Dustin before offering the bat to her again.

"take it. Just in case." Armani sighed deeply, taking the bat, along with the flashlight, she muttered "this is stupid."