Fear and, more fear

Start from the beginning

My girlfriend seems to look at me for a couple seconds in silence.

"All right, for you..."

That puts a smile on my face and I step forward into her, giving her a kiss. It's short and sweet. Then I step back more than a few steps to let the orderlies do their work.

"Thank you Faith."

She smiles at me happily.

"Anything for my girl..."

Our eyes stay locked while the orderlies stand to either side of Faith.

"You better believe I'm your girl."

As I'm walking backwards, my heel hits the front of a sofa set against the wall and I lose my balance for a second.

Oh, geez... gotta be careful.

I manage to get my balance back without tripping over myself and causing a scene, gently sitting down on the sofa to watch.

She's not thinking about it. She's just focused on getting better, that's all. There's nothing to worry about.

* * *

We walk into the main hall of Faith's apartment building together.

Wow, it feels like forever since I've seen this place. Almost like it's been a couple years instead of a couple weeks. For a while, I wasn't even sure I'd get to come here with Faith ever again.

Faith stops in the middle and takes a deep breath.

"Home sweet home... or whatever, right?"

Her words make me chuckle a bit.

"Yeah, it's a good thing you're a fast healer. Otherwise it might've taken a few more weeks to get through your therapy and come home. Not days."

She looks at me and smiles.

"I guess so. Come on, you wanna go up?"

Walking up to her, she puts her arm around my shoulders and I slide mine around her waist while heading to the elevator. I press the button to go up and we turn to each other while we wait. She's the first to say anything.

"I'm glad you're here babe."

"So am I. You're coming home is kind've a big deal."

The elevator dings and opens up, allowing us to step inside. Faith shrugs on the ride up, pushing the button for her floor.

"Apparently not enough to have anyone else come along though..."

When she says that, I look at her.

"Sorry, I should've thought. I just... you know you were in that coma for so long. I kinda wanted us to be all by ourselves tonight."

Both of us smile at that thought.

"Hey, I don't really have a problem with that. Just think you could've been a little nicer to your sister about not wanting her to come along is all."

Why does she care?

"Why?"

"Dunno. She just looked sorta hurt when you might as well have yelled at her to go home."

She was there, she saw what happened. Why is she bringing this up again?

"Well she kept insisting that she should come along. Even after I told her it wasn't necessary. What else was I supposed to do?"

"You could've let me say something. I didn't really get a chance to say much before you jumped all over her."