Shades of a Purple Past

Word Count: 2,345

"What? Keith?" Lance said from behind me, I heard him come to my side, his eyes focusing on the dark corner.

Lance's eyesight must've been better than mine because a second later I heard Lance suck in a breath beside me, his eyes wide. "What are you doing out here, man? You're gonna be seen." He said in a low tone, quiet enough for the others not to hear us.

"I know," I heard Keith say, his voice sounded funny, probably trying to speak past the fangs that were now in his mouth, "but I need to talk to Shiro."

Lance raised an eyebrow, not getting why Keith needed the black paladin so badly that he would risk sneaking out of his room and being seen by the others. "Why Shiro?"

"Lance, please." I heard Keith say, most likely between clenched teeth.

Lance shrugged, eyeing Keith worrisomely before finally walking away from us to get Shiro.

Now that my eyes had adjusted to the dark corner, I could tell that Keith was now full Galra, both of his eyes were now a solid yellow, his ears were on the top of his head reminding me a bit like a cat. I knew he was now a light shade of purple, covered in fur, but I couldn't yet see that detail with my eyes, it was too dark for that.

His eyes were downcast, staring at the floor, not wanting to make eye contact with me. Of course, I didn't blame him.

"Do you want to go out in the hallway?" I quietly asked.

"Yeah."

I walked slow, giving Keith enough time to walk beside me against the wall, my body covering him while we slipped out of the room past Coran who still had his head under the console closest to us working on who the heck knew what.

Now that we were out in the hall, I could tell that I had been right.

Keith hadn't yet retrieved his jacket, standing there with his dark grey t-shirt on I knew he felt exposed. His purple arms were crossed as if trying to keep himself warm, his black hair was now a dark lilac, his light purple ears sticking out from the mess, and if I looked hard enough, I could see the tips of fangs sticking out from under Keith's lips.

In the awkward silence between us, I bit down on my tongue hard enough to draw blood. That's how hard it was to keep myself from running away screaming. Or from attacking him, I couldn't decide which one I felt more at that moment, they were two feelings fighting for dominance in my head.

But I knew deep down that this was still Keith, Galra blood or not. I forced a deep breath through my nose.

We both turned to the opening and closing of the door behind us, Keith's ears going up at the sound, but slowly dropping back down afterward. I looked up to see Lance and a stunned Shiro, staring at Keith like he was some kind of alien.

Well, he kinda was.

"Keith?"

His ears perked at his brother's voice and he finally looked up to look him in the eyes, but he didn't say anything. Yet.

"Shiro, did you know about this?" I asked, not wanting to swing my hand in Keith's direction like he was some kind of object and not a person. He's had enough of people treating him different already; I wasn't going to do it to him again.

Shiro took a deep breath, grabbing the bridge of his nose like he was trying to find the right words to begin with. "Lance, could you leave us?"

Keith was shaking his head before his brother even finished speaking. "No, he can stay, they'll all find out soon enough anyway." His voice was small.