Chapter Fourteen

We walk in silence across the field, the kind that needs no narrative or meaning. To me, it is nice, and peaceful besides the constant aching pain on the side of my face, and almost like the calm before the storm if there will be one. I know Mordred, he hasn't seen them in a few years, and he didn't know them for as long as I have... Had. Yet at the same time I know that he lets things build up, and up until something sets him off and then it's almost like he's exploding. I guess we have that in common.

I remember when he was with us for only a couple of weeks he found a little rabbit in the woods and wanted to keep her. Al agreed on the condition that he takes care of her himself and takes responsibility. With that settled he named her Pixie and she lived with us all. We were all fond of her, but not as much as Mordred. And when that wolf came and killed her before we had the chance to scare the wolf away, he was the most upset, even if he didn't show it. I think it was a combination of things, from wherever he was before us to being with us then, to watching that creature he was responsible for die but it was enough to set him off.

Elie scolded him, for the smallest thing one day, he got upset, and he ran away. I remember so vividly how scared I was, and worried for him that I searched throughout the day and throughout the night with only a couple of breaks to use the outhouse. I finally found him when day broke the next day, and I was so relieved that I lifted him up and danced around in the morning sun. When I let him down I saw confusion in his bright blue eyes, and relief as well, but also tears. I wiped them away and told him, 'You scared me. I know you were upset but you're still small and I was very worried. Please don't do that again.' He tugged on my hand and we walked home.

I smile a small warm smile at the memory and look over towards him. Now as tall as me, older and stronger then that memory, but I still see that little boy and I think I will, always.

"You go ahead." I say to him as I stop walking. "There's someone I want to talk to."

Mordred looks at me with confusion and curiosity but doesn't say anything. He only nods his head and walks onward with me staying behind. As soon as he is off the training field, I turn my eyes away from his retreating form, and towards the servant boy, or more commonly known as Merlin. I pledged allegiance to protecting King Arthur and Merlin and their cause, all those years ago. Now is my time to do it, and my opportunity. Although I wasn't expecting him, Merlin of all people to be a servant when he is supposed to be very powerful, but then again, it does make sense in a way. If magic is banned then how else is he supposed to get close to the King to protect and advise him?

"Merlin?" I say slowly as I stand behind him, making sure I get it right. He turns around with a start as though I startled him. "It's Merlin right? I'm sorry if I startled you."

"No, I'm fine and yeah I'm Merlin." He says a little awkwardly.

"Well, I'm Missione but you can call me Missy."

"Oh, you're the one who saved Arthur."

"Saved him? Is that what everyone's saying?" I ask, a mixture of pride and happiness filling me at the thought.

"Well, not when Arthur's around." He says with a smile.

I smile back and say, "I hope we can be friends. I think I'll be staying here awhile and it would be nice to know someone who isn't a Knight or royalty."

"Yeah, that would be nice."

I smile. "Alright."

He is about to turn away but I can't help asking, "Do you know Mordred?"

Merlin becomes tense and unlike the funny, friendly, awkward man I just met a few seconds ago. "Yes, why?"

"I am just wondering how he's doing. He's my brother, even if we're not blood and I worry about him."

He smiles but it seems strained. He was still tense as he tells me, "He's doing well."

Before I can say anything else, he is gone, walking surprisingly fast towards the castle, but why? I don't ponder on that thought long, Mordred is probably waiting for me and I still have to tell him the news and sorrows I carry. I head towards the tavern, away from the training field with my heart heavy, like a sponge full of water.

The tavern isn't as noisy as it probably would be if the sun went down. It is still up and I calculate at least an hour before it hides away and the moon comes out, along with the people. I still have time before it gets too loud and distracting to tell Mordred of all that has happened. I spot him at a table by himself, and I walk over. He smiles as I sit down and I manage a small one in turn. I speak first by asking him, "The good first? Or the bad?"

"The bad first, so that we can leave off on a good mood." He says.

"All right but there isn't much good."

"That's fine, go ahead and tell me"

As I speak next my smile quickly disappears and a frown replaces it, "A few days ago I left the cottage to go get Nadine, my horse, by myself. When I got back, what I saw was- it was..."

My voice falters and I stop talking. The sadness in my voice and on my face must have been evident because Mordred reaches out and holds my hand. I hold on to his and then start to speak again, "It was like a battle had happened, there were bodies everywhere, bandits and, and..."

I take a deep breathe to calm the emotions swirling inside of me and then speak again, "First I saw Alex's body, then it was Elie and Al, dead. There was nothing I could do. They were just gone there was no one left so I decided to come here. Partly because I wanted to become a Knight and partly because I was hoping to hear something about you. I missed you so much Mordred."

I look up at Mordred and he looks close to tears. I feel some slide down my cheeks as I let the sadness pour out of me and wash out the last remains of the fire. He stands up and walks around towards me, pulling me into a tight hug. We stay like that for a while, until both of us have no more tears left. I pull away first and he sits back down in his previous spot. I tell him the rest of what he missed and he tells me about his journey. It is very interesting, especially the part about Kara which I am defiantly going to tease him about later on, but for now I drink away all the emotions, everything, until I am numb. My jaw no longer aches, and neither does my heart, for now.