Chapter Thirty Five

"...And then I nicked his shoulder with the very edge of my blade. His face turned red, then purple as he got into such a rage..." Gwaine is telling me another of his stories of his adventures. They are always fascinating, and usually have some humor. I usually listen intently, waiting for more, but, not today. Today my mind is elsewhere. Gareth left only two days ago, almost three, and it makes me nervous. I know I'm not the only one. He is so young. I'm just, so scared for him. And even though I know that he has to do this, that he can, but it still is hard. I don't want him to get hurt.

"Missy? Missy?" Calls Gwaine.

I shake my head slightly and turn to him, "Yes?"

His eyes look worried. "I was telling you the tale about the man that turned purple. It usually gets me a few laughs." He attempts a smile.

I smile slightly and say, "I must have gotten lost in thought."

His eyes pierce into mine longer than necessary. "Gareth will be fine, love. You said it yourself, and you've taught him well."

"I know." I look down.

"Gwen's birthday is in a few days, and even though she's refusing a party, the Princess insists on it."

I look up. "Yes, she told me about that."

"Then don't look so down. All ale and mead you can drink. All the food you can fit in your bellies, what can be better?" He asks with a striking smile that makes me smile as well.

"Isn't there dancing?"

"Yes." He says as he stands from his place on the bench. "Dancing with all."

He dances with an unseen partner, and I giggle.

Gwaine sits back down on the bench still smiling and says, "We'll dance together."

My cheeks heat up slightly. "I've never really danced before."

"It's easy." He tells me. "Especially after the third cup of ail."

I smile and so does he.

He can distract me so well, and make everything alright.

He stands up in front of me and bows. He takes my hand in his and says, "Will you Lady Knight Missione, accompany me, Sir Knight Gwaine, to Gwen's feast and party?"

"Are you asking the Knight? Or the Lady?"

He looks up. "Aren't they the same thing?"

I grin and decide to play along. "Yes. I, Lady Knight Missione, agree to accompany you, Sir Knight Gwaine to Gwen's feast and party."

He kisses my hand. And then we laugh. We are just like children playing dress up, except that we aren't children, this isn't dressing up, and this is real. I ask myself that question that I ask, always. 'How is this real?' I question it, but it's become more and more hypothetical. I'm glad this is real. I wouldn't change a thing. Everything will turn out alright. Everything will be alright. Everyone will be alright. I'll make sure of it.

Gwaine sits back on the bench beside me. "I wonder if there will be apples. I could go for an apple right now."

I laugh. "Yes, you probably could."

...

"What is that?" Asks Gwen as I set the object down. It's covered in a large light blue cloth that makes it invisible.

"It's your gift, for your birthday." I tell her. She starts to object, but I continue, "I know it's still only a few days away, but this is the last time we may get to talk alone before your party. I thought it best to give it to you now."