Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Ashleigh's POV

I'm surrounded by all the other residents of district 12. We are all waiting for the tributes to be announced. The only difference is that I know I will be one of the tributes along with my little brother. My parents and Haymitch are up on stage filling up 3 of the 5 seats. My parents are both holding hands trying to comfort each other. Effie who I have met a couple of times before is sitting in one of the other seats. She's wearing a giant wig and loads of makeup. I've never met someone who wears that much make up, apparently people in the Capitol always do. The Mayor of district 12 is talking at the moment but I'm not really paying that much attention. What's the point of listening; I know I'm going to be picked. There a two glass bowls up on stage, one for the girls and one for the boys. There are many little pieces of paper in the female bowl, each one containing my name and many little pieces in the males each containing Isaac’s name. Effie has now left her seat and is making her way to the microphone; my heart is going a mile a minute. I don't know why I'm so nervous; I know what's going to happen.  My name is about to be drawn. Effie walks up to glass bowl and puts her hand in. It feels like a lifetime before she finally pulls a slip of paper out. She walks back to the microphone and unfolds the piece of paper.

"Ashleigh Mellark" Effie looks back at my parents and then towards me. I slowly make my way up to the stage and Effie asks for volunteers. I don't know why she even bothered to ask. When no one volunteers she walks over to the other glass bowl and does the same routine again. She puts her hand in the bowl and slowly draws the paper out. It feels like it takes even longer for her to announce the boy’s name. I start wishing for a miracle.  

"Isaac Mellark." My heart sinks. No not my little brother. No no no! I know there is no way for there to be someone else but he can't go into the games. My little brother starts walking towards the stage. He climbs the stairs and walks over to me and I give him a giant hug never planning on letting go. He is shaking like a leaf and I feel like I'm about to cry, but I have to be strong for him and my parents. I can hear my mum crying behind us and I think she would have jumped out of her seat if my dad wasn't there holding her. I don’t dare turn to look at them; I know if I do I won’t be able to stop myself from crying. Effie asks for any volunteers and again I pray for a miracle. No one responds, no one makes any movement. Effie is about to announce us as this year’s tributes when a voice from the crowd suddenly says.

"I volunteer as tribute."