Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Katniss POPV

"Hey Catnip."

"Gale wh-what are you doing here?" To say I was shocked to see Gale was an understatement. I hadn't spoken to him in years. After realising that it might have been his bombs that killed my sister Prim I distanced myself from him. After I got back to district 12 it took me awhile to get the courage to call him. We talked back and forth for a while until one day we just stopped. It was getting harder for me to talk to him because it kept reminding me of Prim. Now Gale was standing in front of me, holding a bouquet of flowers. Even though he was older he didn't look that much different, aged a bit but still the same looking Gale.

"I came here to give you these." He says as he hands over the flowers.

“And?” I ask obviously not believing that he came all this way just to give me flowers.

“And to tell you I miss you and should have come back. Katniss, I still love you.” I just stand there looking at Gale trying to figure out what to say to him.

“Katniss I’m really sorry, I didn’t mean to make such stupid mistakes, your all I’ve been thinking about these last couple of years.”

He can't be serious. If I've all he's been thinking about why didn't he come back sooner?

“Gale I can’t be with you and it’s not just about Prim.” I try to hold back a sob as I say her name. It’s still very hard to think of her after all these years.

“What is it, Katniss I will do anything.”

“Gale I’m sorry it’s just that I haven’t seen you in years and-“

"Deep in the meadow, under the willow-."

"Who is that?" Gale says trying to look around my shoulder. I know instantly who it was singing that song. The same song I sung to Rue while she was dying in the hunger games.

"A bed of grass, a soft green pillow. Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes-"

"No one." I say quickly trying to get Gales attention.

"And when you awake, the sun will rise-"

"Unless I'm hearing things it can't be no one. Who are you trying to hide from me?"

"Here it's safe, here it's warm. Here the daisies guard you from harm-"

"No one Gale, it's no one. It's probably just the TV."

"Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true. Here is the place where I love you-"

Gale gives me a questioning look; probably trying to figure out if I'm lying.

"Deep in the meadow, hidden far away-"

After a few more moments of Gale staring at me I think he comes to the conclusion that I'm not lying. There's only one thing the games helped me with, and that's lying.

"A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray, forget your woes and let your troubles lay-"

"So what was your other reason?" Gale asks me.

"And when again it's morning, they'll wash away-" It takes me a second to realise what he's talking about.

"Gale I've-" Is all I get out before I'm cut off again from the person singing.

"Here it's safe, here it's warm. Here the daisies guard you from every harm-" I risk taking a glance behind me and that's when Gale realises I’m lying.