The Delinquents - chpt. 6

Start from the beginning

        All of the sudden, Keegan whirled around and was facing me. He leaned down slightly, his dark eyes catching the little lighting the sky offered. His breath washed over my face and his hand went over my shoulder as he leaned on the tree behind my back.

        "Don't ever get comfortable with me, Piper," he said sternly, but quietly. His voice made me lean towards him slightly. It was a strange feeling.

        "Why not?" I breathed.

        He smiled dangerously, "Because I can go from this to angry in a matter of seconds. And when I get angry, I lose it. And I'd rather not lose it around you." The Hulk popped into my head but I decided not to draw the similarities out loud in case there was any truth to his words.

        I stared him down instead. "What if I want to be comfortable with you?"

        His eyes narrowed slightly, and I was suddenly aware of how very lonely the two of us were out here. No one was going to reach us with ease. "You might not be safe."

        "I don't like being safe," I shot back. That was true. I had spent so many years in uncertainty that now it was all I really knew.

        "The danger you're used to-the danger of arrest. It's nothing compared to the danger I'm used to. My danger is the kind that gets you killed. I don't want to hurt you, Piper."

        "You won't," I said instantly.

        "How do you know that?"

        I sucked in a deep breath, "Because whoever you were before coming to Ash Falls, you aren't that person anymore. I saw you at the water balloon exercise today, Keegan. I really saw you. I know you're different. I know you've made enough progress for Evan to trust you."

        Keegan seemed to stiffen, "Consider me gasoline, all I need is one tiny spark and I go up in flames."

        I smirked, "I'm sure Travis would love that metaphor."        

        Keegan's face darkened and he leaned in even closer. "I'm not joking around here, Piper. You can get hurt around me."

        "I don't believe you," I taunted. Perhaps I was overcompensating to hide the little worm of doubt that was wriggling its way through my mind, eating away at my confidence.

        He gritted his teeth together. "You don't know my story, if you did, you wouldn't want to be around me."

        I shrugged, "I would love to make that decision for myself, Keegan. So why don't you tell me your story?"

        Keegan shook his head, "Why do you want to get close to me? I don't understand."

        "Who said I wanted to get close to you? I'm just curious."

        Keegan glared, "Come on, you're always staring at me."

        I was glad it was dark and he couldn't see my blush. "Not always."

        "And then when I look at you, your face turns cherry red," Keegan said with a smirk. I was blown away; I had seriously underestimated his observation skills. Weren't boys supposed to be part brain dead? Too absorbed in their own thoughts to fully take in their surroundings?

        I rolled my eyes, brushing it off. "Actually, I blush whenever Derek looks at me. You're just mistaken." That was definitely the wrong thing to say, it was just too bad I figured that out after I said it.