Noticing Sickness-III

Hans

        "Last night Dindolcon told me a lot." Emmeline takes a breath in. And as she exhales I do not hear her words, I see them drawn out like a play. The warnings, the tellings, I see the emotions, the fear, the confusion. I witness what are not Angels. They appear to me as ballerinas and I fear what they do not understand. They are not power hungry, they see themselves as power deserving. They know their excellence and see it as a kindness to even think of sharing themselves with those grounded to Earth. I see the mistreatment of the JIBBOO, no, the Translucent, from being left as Demons. I see the predictions and I accept them. But I have a question.

        "Why did the kitten-as-the Grinch make you decide upon nothing?"

        "Hans, that isn't the part we should be focusing on." Lochlan makes an attempt to dismiss my confusion.

        "But it is though. There's something wrong with it. Emmeline, do you know why—"

        "Hans, I really don't want to be rude but I need you to not focus on that part." Lochlan's teeth clench not quite rudely. His hands shake not quite nervously. His eyebrows pull upward not quite unapologetically.

        "I'm not one of them." Dumaine holds fear in his eyes. He was tired, but now, there's just terror. Emmeline takes his hand, stepping away from the center of the room. She has finished informing us.

        "So does this change our plans, my sweet?" I wonder to Emmeline.

        "That depends, what exactly are our plans?"

        "Nevada, to speak with the Reaper-Mother," Dumaine softly informs her, his head almost hanging.

        "I've set it all up. Already bought the tickets for the bus. There's a hotel I've booked about a mile away from where the Reaper-Mother should be. I've packed necessary items for the both of you and—"

        "You're not coming." Emmeline's statement sits in the air like the stench of week old roast beast. Lochlan's head falls. Dumaine's head lifts.

        "I'm sorry. I'll still be helping you, just from somewhere else. And you can call me. Drexel gave Hans his phone so—"

        "I don't need a phone, I have Amistifer. And I think Osinsius too." She's stepped forward, her posture almost threatening. I offer a smile, but her eyes are focused on Lochlan. "I don't like this. I'm not happy. And I still can't figure out why you remind me so much of my father. When does this bus leave? I'd like to run through New York." Her words are rigid.

        Lochlan answers with apology in his eyes. "The bus leaves at eight, we've got two hours."

        "Well we better get a move on! Emmeline would like to run around New York and I know just the place to let her loose!" They all turn to me and I give a grin. They all return it. That's better.

****

        I can get to Central Park from anywhere in New York. The park is the first place I remember since boarding the boat. I can always see it.

        I lead the others. Emmeline is holding on to Dumaine behind me, telling him theories about how she believes Maddy would love it here. Lochlan is on guard in the back, staring a second too long at every JIBBOO we pass. I'm now noticing how many Seussical creatures I've overlooked every day. How many misplaced fountains, disco balls, and chandeliers I stared at but never realized were stationary creatures. And I never paid attention to the fact that I can see the wind. Rainbows that zoom by, some so fast they are a continuous streak of pastel light, like a ribbon, forcing speedy gusts of wind. Others meander, creating deeply saturated swirls that pass a gentle breeze through your hair. Now I understand why others are never as constantly happy as I. It's amazing to witness the colors of the wind.