05: Madness and Obsidian

Start from the beginning

Her once clean, freshly pressed dress, is coated in a rather thick and viscous red substance. The liquid clings onto sections of the white and black fabric, the bottom hem of the white dress completely soaked in red. A shiny drop makes its way towards the floor, leaving a crimson circle as it makes contact.

The little girl watches him curiously, as if waiting for his reaction. It is very much like Charlotte to play around with other people's emotions and discomfort. Of course, he didn't like the girl at first, her and her reckless, childish behavior could only be capable havoc and unnecessary  mistakes, he assumed the day she was introduced to Infernum.

"Who is she? And why is she playing around in my room at two in the morning?" He demanded, his patience already wearing thin. He sat up and studied the girl from his bed, eyes narrowing as she fiddled around with the weapons that hung on the walls. The tiny girl was nearly half of his size- and he had stood at a measly five feet and two inches.

The lady saw through his discomfort and annoyance. She patted his head with a gentle hand and said, "Charlotte and Charlie will be a wonderful addition to us, don't worry my boy." He only gave the girl a wary glance before turning back to Madame with a question in mind. 

He took note of how her dress was split directly down the middle by two completely different shades, just as her hair was. Wild, curly ink black on the left, stark white on the right, all tied down by two red strands of ribbon.  "What do you mean Charlie and Charlotte? She's only one girl- isn't she?" He asked, genuinely confused.

The woman followed his gaze and spoke very quietly. "Charlie is remarkably timid and... scared of most people, so I can safely say that he doesn't usually come out to make friends. Charlotte, however, loves making friends and playing games." She paused, giving him a moment to absorb the information she had given. When he responded with a slow nod, she continued. "Charlie and Charlotte are two very different kids in one body. They are incredibly special, you see?"

"I still don't understand why they're in my room at two in the morning."

She threw her head back and laughed a soft, ominous laugh. Madame hardly ever laughed, but when she did, the sound of her laughter reminded him of hisses belonging to poisonous snakes and purrs of panthers. She lifted her hand to pat his head once more.

He swatted her fingers away from his sleep ridden hair with a scowl etched onto his features. "Get  them out of my room. They're even going into my storage area! The only wonderful about  Charlie and Charlotte is that they're going to be leaving very, very soon." His words are laced with sourness.

"You are such a poor sport. You haven't even been properly introduced yet. You're both the same age and well, I suppose you both have the same common interests so I don't understand why-"

From across the room, the sharp, distinct sound of a blade unsheathing rang made its way to his ears and pricked his eardrums.

"Ooh, I like this one!" Charlotte piped up, waving a dagger the size of her forearm in the air. "It's so pretty. It's mine now!"  

"They're holding my dagger, Madame. And they don't even have any proper training. They're only going to get in my way." He argued, giving the girl another sharp look.

Madame's lips pursed into a thin, dark red line. She studied his rather vexed expression before meeting his angry eyes- two violet irises filled with wickedly sharp edges and two black voids in the center of those crystal caverns- with her own nearly black irises. "My child, you must learn to get along with others. This lone wolf attitude of yours will certainly not take you any where. Your fierce independence is also your finest weakness, little boy."