Chapter One

I let out a small sigh as I fell back onto my bed. I was absolutely exhausted and it was finally time to go to bed, but there was no way I was going to sleep yet. I still had heaps of homework to do, finish my daily skin care routine, and I had a craving to write. I stared up at the off-white ceiling with no particular goal. My vision began to darken, but I couldn't allow myself to rest, so I threw myself off the bed and slid into the seat at my desk. I reached over to my backpack and pulled out my agenda. I flipped through the neatly organized pages, finding January 2nd as easily as I found the first page. I scanned everything beneath the date, finding three assignments.

The first assignment was to write an essay on the world around us. I set my desk with two sheets of paper, a pencil, eraser, sharpener, and a pen. I picked up the grey and silver pen and began to write about the way every person is different and how everyone has their own passion. I finished the essay in under two hours and edited it. After that, I focused on my Pre-Calc homework, which only took my an hour. My last assignment was a mini-science project.

By the time I finished all the assignments, it was two in the morning. I got up and opened the door to my room, walking down the beige colored hallway to the off-white bathroom. I leaned over the round porcelain sink, turning the water to warm, and washing my face with a special soap I made. I watched the make up swirl down the drain before standing up and drying my face with a soft grey towel. I looked into the oval shaped mirror and gazed into my reflection. My skin was a pale color, my eyes were a swirling grey, and there was no trace of acne on my skin.

The air rushed against my damp skin as I stepped out of the bathroom and back into the hallway. The wooden floors weren't able to chill my feet through my pink and black, cheetah patterned fluffy socks. I made sure not to allow the floors to creak as I tip-toed over to the carpeted stairs. The floor at the bottom of the steps was a light colored wood paneling. I stepped onto it carefully and walked through the living room to the white-walled kitchen. I stepped onto the marble tiles and walked to the granite island, picking up the dirty dishes lied out. I took them to the sink, washing them and others.

I dried my hands and opened the stainless steel refrigerator. I picked out a loaf of bread, nutella, juice, and some other things. I set the items on the island and crouched down, opening the cabinets under the island top, and reached for the four lunch bags sitting inside. I sat them beside the loaf of bread, before pulling out eight slices of bread and packing four of them with nutella. I wrapped up each sandwich and put one inside each lunch bag along with a water bottle or juice. I prepared a salad for two of the lunch bags and small pieces of fried chicken for the other two.

I placed the lunch bags by the front door and flicked off the lights to the kitchen and living room. I walked back up the steps and to my room, exhaustion weighing heavily on my eyelids. I opened the door to my bedroom and entered it quite slowly. I checked to see if my clothes for the next day were ready and then rolled onto my bed and turned off the lamp beside me. Although I was tired and it was three AM, I couldn't fall asleep. Thoughts began to swirl around in my mind,"Why can't I just sleep?" I groaned in frustration. I picked up my Iphone 7+ and clicked on Imessages. I scrolled through the people I texted and couldn't  find a single person I could text at three in the morning. I sighed and set my alarm, putting my phone on my white night stand, and turning onto my left shoulder. I closed my eyes and waited to fall asleep, which probably didn't happen until four in the morning.

BEEP BEEP BEEP

My alarm clock screeched at the top of it's volume. I groaned and picked up my phone, dismissing the alarm. I flipped the blanket off my feet and jumped out of bed. My phone showed the time, 5:30 AM. I had only gotten an hour and a half of sleep. I sighed and quickly made my way to the bathroom, washing my face, brushing my teeth, and putting on some makeup. I changed my clothes, ate breakfast, and grabbed my lunch bag as I made my way to my slick black car with my keys in hand. I allowed the car to warm up before I began to drive to school.

I parked the car at the back of the school and made my way to the back doors. One of the janitors opened the door for me with a crooked smile,"Good morning, Sophia." Greeted Miss Jones.

I smiled back at her,"Good morning and thank you, Miss Jones."

"How many times must I tell you?" She laughed,"Call me Janet."

I laughed a little and nodded,"Okay, Janet." I waved and made my way to my first period, greeting anyone I saw on the way.

"Early as always, Sophia?" Smiled one of my teachers, Mrs. Moore.

"Always have been, always will be." I winked playfully, entering her classroom. I leaned my backpack against one of the metal rods of the desk and pulled out my English binder. I began my warm-up and after that I helped Mrs. Moore clean up and prepare the classroom. When people began to enter the class, I spotted my best friend, Audre, in the mix. She rushed over to me and sat down with a smile.

"Haven't seen you in so long." She sighed jokingly.

"Last time you saw me was yesterday, idiot." I hit her shoulder with a laugh. "Did you do the homework?"

"Yup." She grinned proudly just as the bell rang. I turned to the front of the classroom, pencil in hand, waiting for everyone to finish the warm up. In a couple minutes, Mrs. Moore sat on her desk and pulled out her assignment book.

"Class, your next assignment is an essay about yourself. I want you to tell me who you are in 1000 words." Collectively, the class groaned. Mrs. Moore chuckled a bit,"It's due by the end of the year." I began to think about what I would write, but I couldn't come up with anything. "To get you guys thinking, you're going to fill out a survey about yourselves." She handed my a stack of papers. I got out of my seat and began to hand them out to each student, before reaching my own desk and sitting down. I leaned over the paper and read the first question.

"What do I love to do?" I whispered to myself. After five minutes of thinking, I let out an exasperated sigh and thumped back into my chair. "Who am I?" I muttered. "Who am I?"