chp 8: Dead silence

'Pull over. Now.'

Paul didn't argue, but he was prepared to ask right after. He beeped the horn three times to get Dwight's attention and pulled over on the side of the road. Dwight stopped his bike and looked behind him.

"Daryl, what's wrong?" Paul asked, shifting in his seat giving his full attention. The man didn't answer, he just bent down and lifted up the bottom of is pants on the left with a shaky hand like he was hesitantly checking something. As Daryl's eyes widened, Paul could only assume the worst but was still in doubt.

"Daryl, answer me." He said sternly but with obvious panick in his voice and his chest burning with anxiety. Daryl looked to Paul with that fearful expression in his eyes once again.

"Get- get the.." Daryl tried saying.

"God.. ARE YOU BIT?!"

"C-calm down." He stuttered. "there's a hatchet in the back over there, fucking get-"
Paul wasn't calming down, he screamed for Dwight and rushed out of the vehicle and in seconds the saviour was following the scout to the back confused as all hell.

"HELP DARYL IN HERE, HE'S BEEN BIT!" He yelled, pulling up the back door.
Dwight obeyed.
"Shit" the blonde muttered. "Shit, shit, shit."

Daryl was staring at his ankle in disbelief and hoped to fuck it wasn't too late. Better me than Paul, He convinced himself. His thoughts were interrupted by the passenger door opening wide and strong thin hands grabbing him by the torso. Daryl nearly fell out of the truck before being stopped my Dwight's body weight.

"Easy Daryl, lets get you in the back." The both slung an arm around one another so Daryl could hop his way in. As the got to the back door, Paul immediately pulled him inside with Dwight following behind. They lay the man down on his back. Paul couldn't think, he just held the hatchet still, he knew what had to happen next and he didn't think he could function well enough to do it. What if it's too late? His mind repeated.
Dwight must've noticed Paul's state and snatched the hatchet from his grip.

"I'll have to cut just below the knee" Dwight told him "we don't know how much it's sprea-"

"FUCKING DO IT!" Daryl cried out.

"Okay Paul, hold his leg down." Paul did just that, and shut his eyes tight. He felt like he was gonna throw up.
I cant lose you, how how would i live without you, how could i live with myself?

With all Dwight's strength, he brought the hatchet down on the hunter's leg. An unsettling scream escaped the older man's mouth just after a sickening crunch was heard. Unnoticed tears escaped Pauls eyes, he wanted to wail and cry but he chose not to.
This is all your fault

"One more" Dwight breathed out, wiping sweat from his forehead and lifting the hatchet one more time.

*CRANK!*

Paul let go and grabbed every bit of material he could to stop the bleeding. When he returned, Daryl was already passed out. Luckily, Dwight's belt was wrapped tightly above the wound, stopping most of the blood flow.

"I'll drive, keep those pressed against the wound, we're taking him to Dr. Carson"

Paul didn't answer. He just did what he had to do.

---------------

There was nothing but complete silence for a whole hour and Paul was becoming frustrated, knowing that every minute that passed was taking more chances off Daryl surviving. Paul constantly checked for the man's pulse, feeling slight relief each time.

"Can you drive any faster." Paul said emotionless but loud enough for the saviour to hear, not once taking his eyes off Daryl. He looked so pale but there were no signs of fever as far as Paul could tell at least, it seemed to just be the blood loss.
Even if he lives, paul he will hate you for this, his stump will be a constant reminder of your stupidity and carelessness

"By the speed I'm going, we'll be there in 50 minutes tops," Dwight answered, focusing hard on the road. Paul wanted to thank him for everything, he really did. He just couldn't bring himself to.

"You'll be alright, Daryl." Paul whispered.

-----------------

Paul waited outside, leaning against the railing while Daryl was getting worked on in DR. Carson's trailer. Maggie, Enid, Tara, Aaron, Eric and Dwight were waiting with him. Paul wasn't even gain to look at them once. Daylight was fading and the air was cool, it was so quiet that even the light breeze had a sound of its own.

"How...how did this happen" Maggie asked, even though it seemed more like a demand than a question. Paul couldn't bring himself to speak.
"PAUL" The scout flinched, Maggie never called him that before.

"W-we got overr-run." He managed to say, eyes still on the ground.

"You're good out there Paul, you both are. There's more to the stor-"

"I'm sorry Maggie but will you lay off?" Eric stepped in. "We're all stressed enough without blame being thrown in the mix."

"I'm not blaming anyone for what happened out there" she snapped. "But Paul could've prevented Daryl from leaving here in the first place." Aaron let out a frustrated chuckle, his fingers pinching the bridge of his nose.

"And who gave permission, Maggie?" He said. "Who handed the keys and gave access to the truck?"
Maggie shook her head in disbelief, like she thought everyone would side with her statement.

"I guess I was just stupid enough to trust him." She said coldly, then entered Carson's trailer after pushing past Paul.
Then there was silence again. Paul did expect some sort of tention once he returned but now knowing that he was no longer trusted by his closest friend was painful, but probably deserving.

Tara scoffed as Maggie shut the door on her way in and Enid shifted around awkwardly.

Minutes passed and everyone lifted their heads as the door swung open, revealing DR. Carson.

"There's no fever." He finally said and Paul's chest felt less heavy, but the pain was still there. "But he lost a lot of blood," He continued. "There's a chance he'll be unconscious for two to three days."

"Thank God." Aaron breathed out. Everyone looked towards him, even Paul. "He's going to live, guys. That's all that matters." Aaron explained.

"...Can we see him anyway?" Enid asked Carson.

"Of course." He replied. "But uh.. Maggie would prefer Jesus and Dwight to stay out here." The scout and saviour looked at one another then back to Carson with annoyed expressions.
"That's not her call." Paul spoke.

"I mean it." Maggie said, appearing beside the doctor.

"Listen, Lady." Dwight started, his tone calm. "We all know Daryl's too stubborn for his own good, it's not on Jesus. Or maybe you know that too, you just have no control over your hormones."

And if looks could kill...

"Why the hell are you still here? You should've pissed off outside these walls ages ago."

"You should be thanking Dwight." Tara interrupted. "He risked his life for both Daryl and Jesus."
Everyone looked surprised by Tara's words.

"That's funny coming from you. You think Denise is thanking him too?" The widow remarked. Paul's hands were shaking. He wasn't sure if it was rage or anxiety. Maybe it was both.

"I will never forgive him for what he did, but that doesn't mean i should keep a blind eye from his selfless actions. Shit changes, Maggie."
The widow sighed and shifted her gaze from Tara.

"The trailer will be too crowded anyway. You can wait out here with them until the rest of us come back out."

"You know what?" Paul said, voice shakey. "I can't do this tonight, i just can't." And with that, he walked off to his own trailer before anyone could protest. No one needed to see his tears, not over this shit.

The last thing Paul heard walking away were the shocked gasps of his friends from inside Carson's trailer.

(An early update??? Im on a role! 😎)