Chp 7: Saviour

i'm back.

holy fook.

HI STRANGERS! I'm all settled again and just so ya know, this story will continue but the whole storyline will be veryyy different than the canon shit that's going on in s8 right now. I'm so pissed off with gimple and i'm gonna use my imagination to it's fullest fuck your canon bs gimple rat.

anywhoo, enjoy guys xx

____________

It was like everything was moving in slow motion, Daryl couldn't even bring himself to lift his crossbow and shoot at the walkers that were inches away from Paul who was cornered, kicking them away and stabbing each skull. There were so many to kill in such little time and a part of him believed Paul was already a goner. Each dropping corpse was only replaced by another, desperately reaching for the now helpless man. It wasn't until the sudden sound of Paul's knife hitting the tiles that Daryl snapped out of his foggy state and sprinted towards the hungry herd and launched his own knife through each walker that got to close to Paul.

The younger man cursed himself for dropping the only weapon he had on him but continued kicking and pushing away the walkers with all the strength he had while Daryl took care of them but each time they made enough space to get out and make a run for it, they were not quick enough and soon more walkers would block the way again.

Panic took over as both men were trapped in a never ending swarm of the dead, the only thing shielding them was one of the empty moving shelves they had in reach, and they knew if they kept this up, they'd eventually become weak with exhaustion and turn into dinner. There was only one option left and that was to take their chances and push their way through and hope to god they got out unharmed. Cold, stretched arms, desperately attempted to grab the men through the gaps of the shelf with their blood-covered hands. Paul looked over at Daryl who then stared back, expression fearful but determined, they had the same thought in mind. This was possibly going to be the last time he'd get to gaze into those eyes so he took a moment to take it all in before being interrupted by Daryl's sudden shout.

"NOW!" The man shouted as he grabbed the shelf with both hands and pushed forward. Paul did the same. They shoved through the small herd until their only shield was tipped over by dead walkers on the floor, landing on some live corpses blocking their few, they finally had space to escape. With no hesitation, Daryl grabbed Paul tightly around the wrist, pulling him along with him, leaping over the tipped shelf with Paul following his lead. The younger man tripped on one of the bars, but luckily got his balance back. That was until that sudden stop distracted the larger man, causing him to twist his body around to face Paul.

"GET THE HELL UP, COME ON!" He roared, but before they could go any further, the dead already made their way around and over the fallen shelf so they were both pretty much back to square one, but without any shield and only one useless weapon.

"well fuck." Paul spoke quietly, that kind of quiet that is barely heard, like he believed this was it and it was so overwhelming and terrifying that there was no use yelling. Daryl must've been feeling the same since all he did was freeze with the look of hopelessness written all over his tired face, his grip tightening harder on the scouts wrist. Daryl looked over to the younger man and he didn't have to say a thing for Paul to know that he was sorry, sorry for not saving him, his eyes said it all. Paul wanted to hit himself, it was on him, not Daryl. All he had to do was keep fucking quiet but he was too excited over the damn supplies, not that the stuff mattered now, they were about to be ripped apart and it was all. his. fault. 

They shut their eyes tightly, preparing for the worst.

*BANG* *BANG*

The sudden noise made them jump and frantically look around. Paul noticed a couple walkers now laying down at their feet and out of instinct, started kicking and pushing the live corpses behind him.

*BANG* *BANG* *BANG* "DARYL, JESUS, COME ON!" *BANG* Daryl knew that loud, rough voice, he recognised it most from that time he was thrown back into that cell.

'You're either gonna wind up in here, OR HANGING ON THE FENCEE!!'

It was confirmed when the falling bodies in front of them, revealed the blond, shaggy figure in the doorway holding a gun, with the old crossbow slung over his shoulder.

Dwight.

The two men made a run for the door, following the 'saviour' outside. Daryl slammed the doors shut.

"Daryl!" Paul called out, thowing the hunter a thin pipe as soon he got his attention. Daryl caught it whist putting all his body weight on both doors and slid the pipe through both handles.
"Cmon' it won't hold up for long."
As they went for the truck Dwight shouted out to them from his bike,
"Stay behind me!"
The men didn't protest and gave a nod as they continued running towards their empty vehicle.

As they Paul was driving, Daryl was still breathing heavily, adrenaline not yet gone. It seemed like minutes until Daryl finally spoke up.

"Ya could've died Paul." He said, half wheezing from exhaustion. "The hell, man?"
Paul shook his head at the man's  words.
"I'm sorry, i wasn't thinking." He sighed. "But it wasn't just me who was gonna die, i almost got you killed too." Daryl looked over to him with an unreadable expression. "Daryl," he continued. "I don't know if i could live with myself if anything bad happened."

"Shut up Paul. We're fine and ya learnt somethin' at least." Paul chuckled nervously.

"Yeah. Guess you're right, but the supplies.. thought we'd get lucky today but i fucked that up."

"Jus' don't thinka bout' it. We'll come get em another time, we'll be more prepared at least." Paul smiled, happy to know he didn't need to feel too guilty. It was one tiny screw up that he knows not to ever do again.
Daryl began to calm down, breathing steady and adrenaline fading. That was when Daryl felt completely lucid and aware of his senses. That was when.. he felt an unpleasant sting just above his left ankle, like a bunch of fireants were nipping his fleash all at once.
He froze in his seat.

"P-Paul.."

"Yes..?"

"Pull over. Now."

(Shiiiiit don't  kill meh 😓)