Chp 6: Long trip ahead

After the Alexandrians left, Daryl decided to head back to the trailer and grab his crossbow, needing to go out for a while and keep his mind off wanting to storm back in that Barrington house and punch Gregory senseless. It wasn't just because of what he said directly to him after Daryl gave him a piece of his mind but he also overheard him talking shit to Paul after he closed the door on his way out. Something about Rick and the rest his people not giving a damn about him, trying to make Paul feel like he was an outsider once again. He hoped it didn't affect him, and he had to admit to himself that he cared about Paul just as much as the rest of his family. He realised that during the war, when Paul was stabbed trying to stop a savoir who had Daryl pinned to the ground. The fear of loosing Paul was overwhelming at that moment that he forgot about everything else around him

As Daryl entered the trailer, he saw Tara and Paul casually talking on the couch. They both turned their heads towards the archer in the doorway. They both greeted him with a smile.

"Tara," Daryl said. "Yer.."

"Yeah, I chose not to go back with them, I'm staying a little longer. I promised Enid." The man nodded.

"Haven't seen her around for two days. She okay?" He asked, taking a seat at the table near them.

"Yeah, she's just been spending most of her time with Carl." Tara explained. "Now she's just been sleeping all morning. She's okay."
She then stood up and Daryl caught her smirking down at Paul as she walked past him.
"Well, I'll catch you guys later." Paul smirked back, shaking his head.
"Alright, Tara." He said. As she left, Daryl frowned at the younger man.

"Did I miss somethin'?"

"What?"

"Never mind." Daryl replied, getting up and heading towards his bedroom.

"Daryl?" Jesus said, confused. He got himself off the couch and followed.
"Everything okay?"

"Yea," He said, grabbing his crossbow from the bed and swinging it over his shoulder.
"Just goin' on a long run."
Paul paused, standing in the doorway.

"How long?" He asked, looking slightly stressed. Daryl shrugged.

"A few days. Maybe a week. I have a better chance getting more supplies if I travel further than usual." He said, moving past.

"Wait." Paul said, grabbing his wrist. "You're going alone?"

"I'll be right."

"There are already people out there scavenging, you don't have to." Daryl sighed, turning towards him.
"Look, I gotta get outta here for a bit anyway, I'm sick of roamin' around ere,' playin' farmer and takin' orders from that old prick."

"What about Maggie?"

"She has Tara now, and you." Paul sighed in frustration, looking down at the ground.

"What are ya worried about, Paul?" Daryl asked. Paul looked up, locking eyes with his.

"You." There was a long pause.

"I don't need ya concern." Daryl bluntly said. Paul let go of his wrist, a little hurt inside.

"At least let me come with you. You need someone to watch your back." Daryl looked away, shaking his head. "We can take the truck. I'll talk to Maggie and we can be wise about this. Just like you said the other night, there are still saviours out there, you're far from safe on your own." Daryl sighed and lifted his head, avoiding eye contact.

"Alright." Paul sighed in relief.

"Okay good. Let me grab my things."

-----------------

They left Hilltop an hour later somewhere in the afternoon. They were able to take the truck so they didn't have to worry about making a limit on how much they could scavenge.

"So where's our first stop?" Paul asked from the passenger seat.

"Bout three n a half hours away." Daryl answered. "I remember seein' a pharmacy miles away, back before we lived in Alexandria."

"You think it still has what we need?" Daryl shrugged.

"Dunno. If it don't then there will still be other places near by to check out. See what else is of good use."

---------------

Almost two hours had passed and it had been rather quiet between the two men with only a bit of small talk.

"You haven't been sayin' much." Daryl said, breaking the silence. "Yer usually talkin' me ear off."

"I'm just a little tired." Paul lied. Daryl didn't fall for it.

"Somethins' up, what is it?" He asked, giving a quick glance. Paul closed his eyes, turning his head away.

"Don't worry. It's stupid." He said quietly.

"Have heard you say many ridiculous things before." Daryl joked. "Just tell me."
Paul nervously laughed.

"It's a lot of things." He said. "That's all I'm gonna tell you."

"Not much of an answer." Daryl said. "Do they have anythin' to do with Gregory?"

"Yes and no." Daryl rolled his eyes.

"Did he threaten ya after I left with Rick and Maggie?" Daryl asked, his voice lower and more of concern, eager to know what else was said other than what he eavesdropped on. Paul looked towards him, seeing that slightly pissed expression on his face. Paul anxiously thought for a moment before speaking.

"No. But he did talk crap about your group, trying to convince me that I wasn't valued and that I shouldn't be risking anything for you guys because I'm being used for my skills. He also continued to talk shit about you and Rick." Daryl pressed his lips together into a thin line, giving a slow nod.

"What about us?" He asked, curious to know what else the coward though of him. Paul chuckled, thinking about Gregory's use of words.

"He pretty much told me that He could see right through Rick and that he shouldn't be trusted."

"Of course he'd say that." Paul nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, and he just had to put you into it too by calling you an out of control redneck who Rick needs to put on a leash." Daryl laughed at that, surprising the younger man.

"He's terrified of me, that's all." Daryl said. Paul laughed.

"I don't doubt that."

"But why does this bother you?" He asked Paul. "I don't get it.."

"I told you. It's a lot of things. You'll know sooner or later." Daryl just grunted and put his full attention on the road again.

----------------

"We're here." Daryl said as he parked the truck close to the Pharmacy. They got out, both with their backpack and weapons. Daryl held up his knife and knocked the glass on the door of the pharmacy, making sure there were no walkers.
"It's clear." Daryl said.
As soon as the entered, they both grinned ear to ear at the sight of  boxes stacked up and shelves of medicine right ahead of them Daryl cautiously made his way through the room while Paul mindlessly ran ahead of him, exited about their big score.

"Paul!" Daryl whispered. "Ya needa keep qui-"
Daryl was interrupted by a heap of loud groans coming from the other part of the shop, and before they knew it, over a dozen walkers barged through the other door towards the younger man, two many for two men to take on in such a dark enclosed space. The mindless corpses fastened their pace once they caught sight of their next meal.
"PAUL!!"

----------------
Another late update. Yeah I got no good excuse, I just didn't want to rush it that's all.

So are y'all excited for this week?? I am freaking out! Twd is coming soon and I am soo ready!