four

+++

+++

     HE DUCKED INTO THE HOMESTEAD AS QUICKLY AS HE COULD, HOPING FOR A MOMENT OF PEACE. He shut his eyes and let out the deepest sigh imaginable. The Homestead seemed empty for the moment, so he took it upon himself to explore. Several doors lined the slim hallway of the building. He pushed the first door on the left open. Somebody's room. It was small but looked cozy. A wave of jealousy washed over him. It wasn't fair that he had to sleep outside in the cold air, with only a cot and a thin blanket. He slammed the door shut again, shaking his head angrily.

     Sliding down the wall next to him, the Greenie rested his head in his hands. He had officially decided that this was all some elaborate dream and that he'd wake up back where he came from, safe and with the people he loved, with his memories intact. As he sat against the wall, he attempted to pinch himself awake. He even tried telling himself aloud to wake up. But nothing seemed to work.

     He laughed to himself. "You're so stupid. This isn't a dream, you lost all of your memories and you're never going to get them back. You're stuck here the rest of your stupid life, with these stupid boys," he let out a shaky breath that entangled his throat. He couldn't take it any longer. Tears he couldn't seem to control leaked out of his eyes and he tried to wipe them away as they came, but that only made matters worse. He covered his sobs with a hand over his mouth and tried to calm himself down, but it was no use. He knew he needed to cry. He knew it was normal, but he couldn't help but fear that someone would walk in at any moment and he would become the laughing stock of the Glade.

     So he stayed quiet. The last thing he needed was someone overhearing his cries and coming in to try and help. A part of him felt bad, not giving the Gladers any chance to prove themselves. Deep down, he knew that they were harmless, that they were probably feeling just as alone and afraid as he was, but he couldn't bring himself to really believe it.

     He needed to get out of there. He needed to leave the Glade and discover the truth. It seemed inevitable, his decision to leave, but it had come sooner than he'd thought. He'd have to take matters into his own hands. He would find a way out of the Glade himself, in secret. A rush of adrenaline washed over the Greenie. He stood up and took a deep breath, wiping away the remnants of the tears on his red cheeks. He told himself it would be easy. Newt had told him that the only way out of the Glade was through the Maze. He would go through one of the entrances of the Maze out in the woods, and he'd find his way back to wherever he'd come from.

    The Greenie started towards the door of the Homestead, forcing himself to smile. But before he could even turn the handle, to his surprise, the door swung open. Nick stood before him with his hands on his hips.

     "Ah, there you are," Nick pursed his lips, eyeing the Greenie closely.

     "Nick, hi..." his cheeks flushed a bright red and Nick motioned for him to go back into the building. Reluctantly, he obeyed. Nick followed him inside, shutting the door behind them.