Chapter 4

Sophia glared at the fallen angel she had met over a century ago. His smirk was fake. He was challenging her. Trying to get her angry and to lose control of her serious facade.

"How did you know about that?" Sophia's spewed the words out as she crossed her arms over her stomach and absentmindedly massaging the Clavicula Nox mark.

Leo paused suddenly realizing she had no idea Lucifer had been watching her all these years. Sighing, Leo knew he had to answer truthfully, "He showed me."

"He showed you?" Sophia snorted and looked around as if expecting the devil himself to appear in the room, "He can do that? Just watch me? Like some... pervert?" Sophia growled in disgust as she picked up a nearby glass and threw it against the wall.

Leo felt some renewed strength and tried to sit up straighter, "I don't think the King of Hell has ever been called a pervert before, but I am sure only you are able to get away with such liberties."

"You think I should be happy or even proud of my position as Lucifer's prized whore?" Sophia spat her words at him and clenched her fists, wishing she could pummel the daylights out of this servant of Lucifer's.

Leo laughed awkwardly and shook his head quickly, "Not at all. I just mean that he holds you in such a high regard that he would allow you to do and say what you wish."

Sophia laughed a cold and venomous laugh, "If what you say is true, he would not have burdened me with this cursed mark. This mark forbids me to be touched by any and all who know the truth behind it attempt to kill me or run. The only person he truly cares about is himself."

Leo grew silent, looking down at his hands and took note that his right hand was almost completely healed. Sophia ignored him and strode into a bedroom throwing clothes, knives, stakes and toiletries out into the hall.

Leo cast his eyes heavenward as he whispered, "May God protect us all from her wrath."

***

Leo had never been on a plane before. This aircraft was luxurious and when he had inquired of Sophia if this is what all humans flew in she shook her head and said this was her own private plane. Leo had been astonished to discover this. The flight attendant was beautiful though she seemed to forget often that her top was riding low against her chest.

Silly humans.

When Leo had asked where Sophia had acquired the funds to purchase something so extravagant, she had again gifted him with one of her signature glares and said killing demons for a living had proved to be a very lucrative business.

After two pit stops for fuel and a fresh pilot they finally landed in the American city of New Orleans. Even though it was three o'clock in the morning the city was as awake as ever. It wasn't as freezing as it had been in Russia and Leo thanked the Lord when he was able to be rid of his jacket and only wear a long sleeved shirt and jeans.

Sophia was wearing a black, leather sleeved trench coat that stopped at her knees. Leo had watched as she had expertly hidden knives, stakes and pouches of what she called "blessed" powders inside the hidden pockets of her coat. She also held a brown leather briefcase refusing to allow their driver to pack it in the town cars trunk. When Leo had asked what was in it she had simply ignored him.

Leo sat comfortably in the leather seats of the town car that had been waiting for them at the airport as he watched all that flew by as they drove. Men and women, who barely wore anything danced around the streets, drinking, laughing and enjoying their lives. Bright flashy lights blinded him a little as his eyes adjusted.