Epilogue

EDITED: 7/23/15 ✓

Epilogue

2.5 Months Later

"So... how have you been? It's bittersweet knowing that I don't see you as often as I used to," Emily smiled as I settled in the chair across from her dark-wood desk.

"I've been well, which is something I thought I would never say," I laughed softly, tucking my hair behind my ear timidly.

"I'm very happy to hear that, Sophia. You've come a long way since the first time we met," Emily nodded, folding her hands together on top of the desk.

I nodded gracefully before reaching down to pull something out of my small purse. "I don't think I need these anymore," I replied as I placed the tiny tube of anxiety pills down in front of her.

"I thought you'd be returning those soon enough," Emily laughed gently as she took the pills away and reached into her desk to pull out a single sheet of paper. "Since this is our last session, I have one last request that I think will help you close this chapter of your life," she began gently, turning the blank piece of paper toward me and placing a pen in the middle of the page. I frowned in confusion, a little uncertain of what she would ask of me.

"It's nothing extravagant, I promise. I just want you to write a letter... to Cal. You can write however much, or however little you want; I just want you to write about your life, and your experiences within this past year, and then address it to your brother. Then, when you're done, you can do whatever you like with it – burn it, keep it, or show someone, anything at all. This is for you and for the memory of your brother," Emily explained tenderly as she stood up.

I stared down at the piece of paper for a few seconds before I nodded and folded it up to fit into my purse. I stood up as well just as Emily walked around her desk to meet me.

"Thank you for all of your help," I said as she and I exchanged a gentle hug.

"I couldn't be more proud of your progress. I suppose I'll see you at the Carson's Christmas dinner?" She laughed just as we pulled away. I smiled and nodded, knowing this would certainly not be the last I saw of Emily Carson.

* * *

I smiled graciously at Matt as he helped me take off my light winter jacket, revealing my new red velvet Christmas dress. I blushed as his electric blue eyes drifted over my frame.

"Merry Christmas, pretty girl," he said as I leaned in to give his cheek a gentle kiss. Now it was Matt's time to grow rosy.

"Merry Christmas, Matt," I replied quietly as my hand curled into his. There was something to be said about the way the simple touch of his hand enclosed over mine had the power to send a sense of security through me.

Together he and I walked into his lively kitchen and I felt another smile inch across my lips as I gazed out into the sea of familiar faces, including Matt's relatives and also, Luke and Emily.

"Hello everyone!" I smiled, waving coyly at the crowd. All of the guests greeted me in return and I felt more than at home in their presence.

I laughed once as Matt tugged me along toward the living room where I heard people laughing and someone whistle loudly. The moment he and I walked into the room, I felt my heart jump with delight.

"Hey everyone," I grinned as our closest friends all turned and replied welcomingly. Closest to me, I smiled at Stephen and Meredith as they sat closely with their hands entwined. Next to them, Cassie and Megan were waving happily.