Chapter 3: New Beginnings

Side Bar PHOTO->  Mukilteo,Washington

Happy Reading!

❀  ❀  ❀  ❀  ❀  ❀  ❀  ❀  ❀  ❀  ❀  ❀

EDITED: 7/11/15 ✓

Chapter 3: New Beginnings

In a few minutes, after grabbing my iPod, I found myself standing motionless in the threshold of the backdoor. Luke hadn't mentioned the incredible lakeshore view this house acquired and so, here I stood, completely stunned, yet again. I could not believe how wonderful the layout and location of this house was. Mukilteo, Washington was beginning to grow on me, without question.

After a few more minutes of awe-struck staring, I shook myself and descended the steps toward the long stretch of peaceful beach. I hadn't had a chance to run in weeks and now, after feeling the familiar tight shoes and skin-hugging shorts, I realized that this was exactly what I need and should've pushed myself to do a long time ago. After taking one last look out at the glistening wave-filled waters, I took off along the beach in an exhilarating run.

* * *

Feeling the sand begin to coat the back of my calves, I quickly booted it toward the empty sidewalk by the lush forests lining the beach. I'd been running for a solid twenty minutes at this point and I, for the first time, felt okay.

With the wind sweeping through my long hair and the continuous pounding of my footsteps against the concrete, I found myself feeling heedlessly free. Running provided me with an outlet; a way for me to escape my problems and simply allow myself to focus on what physically lay ahead. For me, running required no thought, no worry, and especially no fears.

Pumping my arms and picking up the pace, I shot forward like an arrow released from its bow. I'd been so in tune with my strides and the songs blasting through my iPod that I had no chance to evade the incoming collision.

From one second to the next, I was running effortlessly until a massive golden lab jumped through the forest, abruptly cutting off my path. In the spur of the moment I did my best to avoid the animal any harm and so, I toppled to the side, scraping my knees painfully against the concrete in the process.

Dazed and shocked, I whipped my gaze over to the sidewalk to make sure I hadn't trampled over the dog. Thankfully, the excited lab merely sat in my path, wagging its tail before trotting happily over to where I sat in shambles. Still in disbelief, I blinked as the animal whimpered and nudged hand with its nose before licking my fingertips playfully. Instinctively, I couldn't help but laugh once; I've always been an animal lover.

"Tyson!" A few feet away a boy, looking a few years older than myself, jogged out of the forest and onto the sidewalk in a breathless manner. With the afternoon sunlight shinning onto his features, I immediately felt my heart skip.

Mystery boy had an athletically toned, sun-kissed body dressed up in a white sleeveless shirt and large-stripped beach shorts. As he walked further out on to the sidewalk, seemingly alarmed and confused, I took in his angular jaw, and tussled, wind-blown brown hair.

In a robotic fashion, I pulled off my earphones as the affectionate lab beside me barked and hopped animatedly. In the same second, the mysterious boy whipped his head toward me and narrowed his eyes, before widening them slowly. Feeling his intense gaze, my cheeks flamed with embarrassment.

Not now, I groaned internally.

In all of my years I'd never wished to be more invisible than I did right then. Quickly averting his heated gaze, I scrambled up and winced slightly as I straightened and stretched out my knees. Without looking up, I heard a pair of pounding footsteps inch closer toward the lab and I.