Treacherous Trespass

"Sturgis Podmore, you say?" Draco said interestedly, pursuing the article. Though it had been from the same newspaper as the one with the Sirius Black tip-off, Draco hadn't seen the small paragraph as he'd swiftly searched it before. He and Hermione had made up; they'd had to, given Draco's sacrifice on Blaise's part and Hermione's confession of their friendship. "He's not one of our lot; not a Death Eater. If he's in the Order, I suppose: Imperius Curse... quite likely... my father... He was there that day; Potter's hearing: he was talking to Fudge on matters of importance. No idea what they were."

"It's possible of course," Hermione considered it. "Hypothetically, it would work. But assuming that your father talking to Fudge was related, or that your father actually was the one who cursed him that day; it's unlikely."

"Wouldn't put it past him," Draco muttered. "What do you think about Umbridge as High Inquisitor? My father unfortunately was quoted in that article. No idea why; probably wants more favour in the Ministry: not that he needs it."

"It's atrocious!" Hermione said hotly. "That woman shouldn't get more power; she should get a life sentence in Azkaban!"

"What did you get on the moonstone essay?" Draco asked. "I got an E. Apparently I needed more facts. I had Quidditch that day, though, so I only had time for that. It was past curfew, so I had to make do with my textbook, which didn't have quite enough information. Anyway, it was positive."

"I got an A." She looked upset to have been beaten by Draco. "A pass mark is encouraging, seeing as he's marking what he would expect us to get in OWLs, but I was hoping for a higher mark; I spent ages on that. Snape favours you so much."

"Yeah, he does," Draco said vacantly. Hermione gave him a venomous glare and he swallowed nervously. "He's my godfather."

Hermione started. 

"Really?" She asked interestedly.

"My father was the only one Professor Snape didn't betray to the Ministry. But he didn't need to anyway; they all knew, and so did Dumbledore." Draco was the only person Hermione knew that put the 'professor' before Snape's name. No-one else treated him with respect.

"I'm glad," she said. "Glad that he's your godfather, and glad that he didn't betray your father. I always knew he was good," she continued hotly. "And you must learn so much from him!"

"So that's why you're glad he's my godfather," Draco replied slyly. "Not because he's the only person other than you who knows what it's like at home with my father and who I can turn to for comfort."

"Apparently Trelawney was inspected, according to Ron and Harry," Hermione said thoughtfully, clearing her throat at the awkward change of subject. She could completely understand why Snape was a veritable source of comfort. The man knew how to defend himself, and never pretended anything was better than it was. Like with her essay, she thought darkly. "I don't think it went very well. And then we had Umbridge, and Harry got another week of detentions for answering back. Umbridge said that Quirrell was the only teacher who stuck by the curriculum, and Harry retorted saying that his only drawback was having Voldemort on the back of his head."

"Potter has some of his priorities right," Draco mused. "Umbridge's cracked, for sure. Strain of working with Fudge. She hates children; absolutely loathes them."

"And came to work as a teacher, lecturing children?" Hermione was incredulous. "No wonder she spends her time cutting their hands open."