Library Lessons

Draco skunked through the dimly-lit corridors, his expression grouchy, and hands firmly in his pockets clutching his wand. Moody had spoken to Snape briefly, after which Snape decided there was 'clearly a misunderstanding' and 'Malfoy wasn't that sort of boy'. Then Moody left, Snape half-smiled at Malfoy, congratulated him on grazing Harry's face and gave him five points for Slytherin. However, he did warn against crossing Moody's path, saying idly with a twisted expression, "these walls have ears."

When Draco entered the library, the first thing he noticed was that it was very chilly. Madame Pince was reading a how-to manual on Caretaking, that Draco thought proved the general rumour of her crush on Filch, and the only other occupants were two seventh-years he scarcely recognised, busy studying, whose ties identified them as members of Ravenclaw and Gryffindor. The Gryffindor saw him and shook his head, and Draco hurried away.

He rubbed his arms, crossing to the window, when he saw a hunched figure on the window-seat, gazing obliviously out the window, into the darkening sky. Draco thought he'd tell the idiot to shut the window when the person turned. It wasn't an idiot and they had brown hair. It was Hermione, and she didn't look pleased to see him.

"What sort of a word is porky?" She demanded, before he could say anything. "How could you? Mrs Weasley is the kindest soul on earth, kinder than you I might add, but I suppose, anyone could be kinder than you."

"Why mention it then, Mudblood?" Draco drawled, trying to act casual, though the kindness taunt hurt. "I was just telling the truth. She isn't skinny, is she?"

"It wouldn't hurt to shut your mouth for a change!" Hermione retorted. "Beauty comes from within; a quote that I believe wouldn't go amiss here. Who cares what she looks like?"

"Now, why's your wand in a knot, Mudblood?" he said hastily. "I was the one transfigured into a ferret."

Hermione looked like she might smile but then she frowned again.

"You hexed Harry," she pointed out. "You deserved a punishment."

"'He could have really hurt Malfoy, though,'" Draco mimicked. Hermione went red. "'It's good, really, that Professor McGonagall stopped it.' These walls have ears, Granger." Draco liked Snape's quote and he quite enjoyed teasing Hermione. "Blaise told me. 'The filthy Mudblood was sticking up for you', he said. And I replied 'I couldn't care less.'"

Hermione jumped up, her wand in hand. Draco thought she was about to curse him. But then her arm dropped, her face crumpled and she turned away.

"I still hope you got detention," Hermione said, her voice muffled as though she was crying. "But, somehow due to your cocky air, I doubt it. I'm going to bed. I'm sick of you." She hurried past him and Draco saw raw red eyes as she vanished out of sight. Both the Gryffindor and the Ravenclaw were staring daggers at him, and the Gryffindor looked rather reproachful. Draco sighed, sat down and began his essay, wondering if he could complete it before bed, but thought so much about his conversation with Hermione, that he assumed he would get a low score anyway – a T for Troll.