Sutures and Secrets (Corazon x Reader)

It was well after midnight when there came a knock at your door. You cracked it open, only catching a glimpse of your visitor before they pushed passed you, stumbling into the room to collapse in a chair by the fireplace.

"What the—Roci? What are you doing here at this time of night, are you drunk?"

That was when you saw the blood.

"Oh my god."

You rushed to his side. He was ghostly pale, forehead damp with perspiration. You searched desperately for the source of the bleeding, tearing open his bloodstained shirt and turning him on his side. Your hands came away red.

You peeled away the clumsy dressing of the wound. It was deep, but not fatal. You breathed a sigh of relief. If it had been barely an inch lower, he would have been down a kidney. The blood flow had slowed, but not stopped, and more spilled onto your hands as you pressed the dressing back onto the wound to stem the bleeding. You didn't even flinch. This was hardly your first time stitching up a battle wound. Hell, you were pretty sure your usefulness in the medical bay was the only reason Doflamingo even kept you around.

"What happened?"

Roci only shook his head, making a stabbing motion with one hand.

"Who did this to you?"

He shook his head again.

You pursed your lips. "I need you to press down on the wound. I'll be right back."

When you returned with your first aid kit, Roci had pulled out the notepad and pen he carried with him and was hastily scribbling down words. A second later he held the notepad up to you.

"DON'T TELL DOFFY" was all it said.

You scoffed. "Wouldn't be the first time I kept something from your brother, believe me." You settled yourself on the floor by his side and motioned for him to turn around so you could access the wound. "Not that I could tell him much even if I wanted to. You gonna tell me what happened, or not?"

Roci hesitated for a long moment, then seemed to make up his mind and reached for his pen.

"IT WAS LAW," the paper said.

"The new kid?! Why on earth would he do something like this?"

A non-committal shrug from Roci.

"That poor child. I worry for him sometimes," you sighed, uncapping a bottle of rubbing alcohol. "This is going to sting a bit."

You took his silence to mean he was alright, so you proceeded with cleaning the wound. As usual, he didn't make a sound, though you could tell he was gritting his teeth against the sting.

"Okay, I'm going to have to stitch up the wound and I don't have any anesthetic. Whenever you're ready."

Roci pulled a cigarette from the box in his pocket and placed it carefully between his teeth. His hands shook slightly as he struck the lighter once, twice to no avail.

"Let me," you said gently, offering your hand.

He placed the lighter carefully in your palm, his fingers brushing yours as he pulled his hand away. You suppressed a shiver.

He leaned forward, steadying the cigarette between his thumb and forefinger as you held the flame to the end until it glowed red. Smoke curled upward toward the ceiling as he took a long drag, eyes closing as the smoke filled his lungs. You wouldn't normally allow him to smoke in your room, but you would make an exception for this occasion.

He looked to you and nodded, turning in the chair so you were once more face to face with the stab wound.

"I'll try to be gentle."